First Big 12 Road Trip success with pair of wins

In their first Big 12 road test of the year in Stillwater, Okla., the Longhorns showed the Cowgirls why they are the eighth-ranked team in the country with a pair of convincing wins.

In the first game of the weekend series, the Longhorns once again received an excellent performance in the circle from sophomore Blaire Luna, who held the Cowgirls to six hits, three runs (one earned) and nine strikeouts, in her 18th complete game of the season. 

Luna’s pitching effort was more than enough to secure a Longhorn victory on the day, as the offense went off for six runs on 12 hits against Oklahoma State starter Simone Freeman.

Junior Lexy Bennett led the offense on the day, with a 3-for-4 performance that included two RBIs, one run and a home run. Sophomore Torie Schmidt also had an outstanding day at the plate with two hits and two RBI.

The next day, the Longhorns were at it once again against Oklahoma State, and they put together perhaps their most dominating performance of the year with a 10-0 dismantling of the 18th-ranked Cowgirls.

The offense led the way for Texas once again with a quick start in the top of the first, scoring three runs before Oklahoma State had a chance to see the plate, putting them in a hole they would never come close to digging out of. 

Thanks to freshman starter Rachel Fox who had another stellar performance in her fourth shutout of the season, allowing only three hits and fanning four in her six innings of work.

The team added another run to their total in the third and the fifth but really ended any hopes for the Cowgirls in the sixth when 10 runners saw the dish, and the team exploded for five runs.

The offense was once again headlined by Bennett who had two hits and four RBI on the day. Freshman Brejae Washington also greatly aided the Longhorn cause with three runs scored, two walks, one hit and an RBI. 

This pair of wins over a ranked Big 12 team should leave them brimming with confidence and ready for a tough rivalry game against Texas A&M on Wednesday.