Relays wrap up on Saturday

The crowd at Mike A. Myers stadium on Saturday finally got what it wanted in the third-to-last race of the day — a Longhorn win.

In the men's 1,600-meter relay, Texas beat Clemson, Oral Roberts and six other teams in a crowded university division. It finished in 3 minutes, 8.04 seconds, almost a full second clear of Clemson at 3:08.97.

Andre Thomas took the lead from Clemson in the last 100 meters of the second leg after Isaac Murphy started the race in the fourth lane. Keiron Stewart maintained the Longhorns' lead in the third leg and Danzell Fortson ran an anchor lap of 46.03 seconds to secure the victory.

Saturday also showcased a number of professional athletes for the 18,369 in attendance. Tyson Gay, the U.S. record-holder in the 200-meter dash and the relays' biggest draw, pulled out of the invitational 1,600-meter relay but a star-studded Adidas team that still included Olympic gold-medalist Jeremy Wariner won with a time of 3 minutes, 4.38 seconds.

Canadian Olympian Jared Connaughton won the invitational 100-meter dash in 10.04 seconds.

The Texas men finished fourth in the 400-meter relay and got a third-place finish from Hayden Baillio in the shot put.

Texas was even more dominant on the women's side, with junior Angela Cooper winning her second-straight Texas Relays title in the 400-meter hurdles in 57.19 seconds. It was the only win for the Longhorn women on Saturday but the team notched seven other top-three finishes, including freshman Danielle Dowie getting third in the 400 hurdles, 1.13 seconds behind her teammate. Freshman Marielle Hall ran a personal-best of 4:32.71 in the 1,500 meters but finished second.

Texas A&M was named the entire meet's most outstanding college team by the media for its impressive outing, which included wins in the men's 100, women's 100 and four men's relays. Gerald Phiri broke the meet record in the university men's 100, running it in 10.06 seconds despite a slight knee injury.