Luna leads Longhorns to win over Bears

2011-04-20_Softball_Versus_TWU_Trent
Trent Lesikar

Texas freshman Rachel Fox swings during Texas’ 3-0 win over Texas Women’s University last week.

Sophomore all-American pitcher Blaire Luna tied for the lead in the NCAA for complete game shutouts. Luna fired her 14th shutout of the season and 25th of her career in the Longhorns’ 3-0 victory against the 17th-ranked Baylor Bears. Luna lowered her ERA to .91 on the season while striking out 10 and walking three.

Luna’s ERA ranks second best in the Big 12. The Texas defense gave up three hits on the night but was able to prevent a Baylor score without an error. This victory brought Luna to a record of 25-2 on the season and is the 55th victory of her career. The third-ranked Longhorns are now 43-4 on the season and remain undefeated at 12-0 in conference play.

“I felt good with my performance,” Luna said. “I definitely was just trying to stay focused and get ready in the bull pen and come out and be effective.”

The Texas offense started off the night slow but ended the game strong, with three runs off of nine hits. The scoring seal was not broken until the top of the fourth inning, when an RBI single by the sophomore first baseman Kim Bruins brought home senior Amy Hooks. After breaking the Texas career home run record against Texas Tech last weekend, Hooks took it one step further by firing a solo home run during the top of the fifth inning. This home run marks the 12th of the season for Hooks and the 35th of her career. Hooks led the offense against the Bears with a 2-for-4 performance Wednesday while scoring a total of two runs and was responsible for one RBI, raising her batting average to .370 on the season.

Bruins also had a productive night on offense with two hits and an RBI. She extended her current hitting streak to five games, which is the best streak of her career.

“Our offense is just amazing because once somebody starts hitting, it spreads to everybody else,” said freshman shortstop Taylor Thom. “If you do not get the at-bat you want, the person behind you will. It is all about heart and drive, and we want to win ball games.”

Up next for the Longhorn’s is the 15th-ranked Oklahoma Sooners this weekend in Austin. Tickets are almost sold out for one of the most anticipated games of the season.

“I am really looking forward to the OU game,” said freshman outfielder Brejae Washington. “The Big 12 is actually better than it has ever been, and I cannot wait for that game.”