As outdoor season wraps up, Texas tries to finish on high note

Following a second-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Championship meet and strong showings at both the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays and the Penn Relays, the Longhorns are looking to continue their success as the outdoor season ends.

The team will be competing in the Big 12 Outdoor Championships May 13-15 in Norman, Okla., and the NCAA Regional Championships May 27-28 in Eugene, Ore., but much of the women’s focus will be on the 2011 outdoor championships in June.

The Big 12 meet takes place at the University of Oklahoma’s John Jacobs Track Complex. Texas has previously won six Big 12 titles, the most recent was in 2006. The Longhorns will then compete in the western region of the NCAAs, hosted by the University of Oregon.

The Longhorns finished 42nd at the 2010 Indoor Championships and 51st at the 2010 Outdoor Championships. The women last won an outdoor championship title in 2005.

The 1,600-meter relay may be able to continue a strong streak from earlier in the season. This season, the relay has seen success, complete with a first-place finish at the Penn Relays at 3 minutes, 30.08 seconds. Last year, the same event placed seventh at the outdoor championships at 3:34.22.

“With the 4×400-meter relay, it’s exciting to win,” said head coach Beverly Kearney.