Make your own Harry costume

The premiere of the final Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” is tonight and perhaps you’re thinking of taking this last chance to dress for the occasion. Or maybe you’ve dressed up every year and you want a fresh costume for the grand finale. Either way, there are enough details lurking in your own closet to make your costume as affordable as it is amusing.

Having a black cloak or robe and wand is critical to most costumes and is the easiest way to distinguish yourself from Muggles in line. A black sheet, Snuggie or even an old black graduation robe will work for a robe. If those aren’t lying around, you can always pick up a few yards of inexpensive black cloth at a fabric store. If you don’t have a wand to call your own, simply find a medium-small sized stick and peel the bark off. Or, you can use one of the many online tutorials found on the-leaky-cauldron.org to make one out of a pencil.

Though the characters aren’t at school in this film, the most easily identifiable costumes are the house uniforms. Since it’s summer, opt for a plain white undershirt instead of a button-down shirt and pick up a black sweater vest at a nearby thrift store. If you’re crafty, you can use a plain shirt and some spray paint or paint pens to create a simple Hogwarts costume on a T-shirt to go with your black pants and dress shoes. It will still look good under your cloak and will help you avoid too many layers. Find a tie that has one of the house colors and use a paint pen to add stripes.

The way to really make your costume cohesive and complete, however, is through the smaller styling details and accessories. Here are some tips for the main characters.

Harry Potter
Though early on Harry has a ruffed mop of brown hair, it gets much more polished with each year, so guys can simply go as is. To imitate short hair for girls, side part your hair and use bobby pins to securely pin down hair. Pull your hair into a neat bun or low ponytail and tuck loose hair into shirt. As a Gryffindor, try to incorporate red and gold into your outfit as much as possible — socks, earrings, hair ribbons, shoelaces, etc. Pick up a pair of Potter’s signature glasses at a costume supply store and wrap a bit of tape around the nose piece if you like. For an extra touch, spray paint a golf ball gold and attach paper wings to it — then you’ll have the golden snitch to keep with you. Don’t forget the scar! Eyeliner works best.

Ron Weasley
Another Gryffindor. It is doubtful that anyone would be interested in dying their hair red for one night out. But if you don’t want to purchase a wig, a can of temporary red hairspray color would suffice. However, like any regular hairspray, these make your hair very stiff. Girls should put their hair up in the same fashion as Harry’s and spray on the color only after they are pleased with the styling. Carry around a toy rat and feel free to load up on snacks — Ron is always eating.

Hermione Granger
It’s no secret that the brightest witch of her age was a little rough in the hair department early on. Either you can channel that unruly mane by teasing your hair out with a comb, or opt for more polished waves or curls. To replicate Hermione’s Time-Turner necklace, wear a long gold necklace with a gold ball or circle pendant — if you can find one that spins, even better. If you’re planning on studying for summer school while you camp out in line, tape a fake book cover on the front with a magical title such as “Divination” or “Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

Draco Malfoy
Snake jewelry has been trending this year, so if you have any this would be the time to showcase it. Besides a sour, bratty scowl, Draco’s most distinctive quality is his bleached-blonde hair. A wig will work much better than a drastic hairstyle change or, though it won’t get quite as bright an effect, yellow-colored hairspray will do the job. Draco is a Slytherin through and through, so green and silver will be your colors of choice. Using a washable black marker, draw the dark mark on your forearm (you can find stencils online) and make yourself a small badge or pin that says “Inquisition Squad,” from Umbridge’s reign of Hogwarts in the fifth book, to wear on your chest.

Luna Lovegood
This Ravenclaw (blue and bronze) is characterized by her long, blonde, wild hair and dreamy, spacey demeanor. In the movie, Luna wears bright plaid pink high tops, so wear your favorite bright shoes. Using a tutorial online from DIY Fashion, create a pair of Spectrespecs, her kooky, pink, hand-shaped glasses. And make your own copy of The Quibbler to carry around by printing a template cover from online and pasting it over an old magazine. Feel free to spout off any weird or outlandish thoughts you have — if you’re lucky, someone might call you Loony Lovegood. If you are looking for a snack to sneak in with you, opt for your favorite flavor pudding cup.

Though no one would discourage you from dressing as your favorite character, the most economical way to go is always with your natural features. If you have billowing blonde hair, Luna Lovegood should work. Red hair (and a hand-me-down-robe)? You must be a Weasley.

Worse comes to worst, though, you can always dress as a tourist and call yourself a Muggle.

Printed on 07/14/2011 as: Costumes an easy craft for final movie