Recruiting picks up steam with more commitments

It turns out there was no need to be concerned after Texas’ first junior day. Ten scholarships were offered Feb. 12, but no commits were added.

Now, just over two weeks later, the team boasts 11 commits. Not only are they commits, but they are standout players — especially on offense. For a team that has struggled offensively for the past two seasons, the class of 2013 could be exactly what is needed to break through.

Although Mack Brown and the Longhorns had to wait patiently for commitments the first junior day, that was not the case after the second one. Cy Woods linebacker Deoundrei Davis committed on Sunday morning, just hours after receiving his offer, and became the seventh commit for this class. Davis is easily one of the state’s top linebackers.
Cy Falls’ Jacorey Warrick followed Davis by committing Sunday afternoon, and Lancaster defensive end Daeshon Hall became Texas’ ninth commit and third of the day. Not too shabby.

ESPNU Watch List member Kent Perkins was supposed to attend the team’s first junior day. He could not attend because of a family emergency. But the 6-foot-5, 295-pound offensive tackle did not wait long to commit and pledged to become a Longhorn on Monday.

Although Texas received its 11th commit of the class of 2013, it comes with a catch. Harker Heights’ Naashon Hughes was not offered a scholarship. The only linebacker in the class was Davis. But coaches are attempting to get him a scholarship offer before next February. If that doesn’t happen, he agreed to take a grayshirt.

He will be the class’ fifth defensive commit and joins Davis, Jake Raulerson (Celina, Texas/Celina), A’Shawn Robinson (Fort Worth, Texas/Arlington Heights) and Daeshon Hall (Lancaster, Texas/Lancaster).

Hughes, brother of freshman tackle Camrhon Hughes, would delay his enrollment and can join the program in January 2014. His commitment gave the Longhorns five commitments in three days.

Hughes’ situation shows how small this recruiting class is, and the selectivity of the coaches this time around. But as time goes on, Texas will continue to get more recruits. February is always a vital month for Texas recruiting. Brown likes to nab top commits — especially Texas players — early. Although the number of players that have committed at this point is not as high as usual, this class is smaller than in the past.

In an interview with Horns Nation, Texas’ first commit Raulerson, expressed his excitement for this class.

“It is one of the best in the country,” Raulerson said. “It’s a great class so far. I am really excited about it. I am really liking the guys that we have brought in. I’m excited to see what happens in the next couple of years.”

Although Texas fans were throwing the towel in for this recruiting class after the first junior day did not result in numerous recruits, February has become a successful month in recruiting for the class of 2013.

Printed on Thursday, March 1, 2012 as: Second junior day yields commitments from five