Longhorn female racers take another first-place victory

Longhorn female racers trampled the Hancock Golf Course Saturday morning. With burnt orange and white suits splattered with mud, the team crossed the 5k finish line for another first-place victory.

Junior Marielle Hall won the 5K race in 18:24.54, with teammates Laleh Mojtabaeezamani and Sara Sutherland close behind in second and third at 18:34.58 and 18:43.43, respectively. All ‘A’ team members finished in the top 10 and redshirt freshman Jenna Read led Texas ‘B’ in 15th place at 19:26.42.

“Our plan of attack was just to run really easy the first lap and then push hard the second lap,” head coach Stephen Sisson said. “We had a few athletes that executed the plan really well and others that need to work a little bit.”

Hall’s execution brought controversy: when she ran more than 30 seconds ahead of all competitors, officials sent her back to repeat part of the loop, thinking she made a wrong turn. Hall still won by 10 seconds.

“Marielle just absolutely crushed it today,” Sisson said. “It is good to know that she is in such a good strength place.”

“We were just looking to put a strong effort in before we head into the championship portion of our season,” Hall said. “Steve [always] stresses that you’re not always going to get the perfect day, you’re not always going to feel great, but as long as we get the effort out there, we’ll do well.”

Texas’ 18-point finish crushed UTSA (55 points), Sam Houston State (77) and Houston (96). The team next competes at the Pre-Nationals Invitation Saturday, Oct. 13.