High ambitions among Texas cross-country runners

Fifth place was good, but not good enough for the Texas cross-country team.

In the Greater Louisville Classic held Sept. 29, in which Texas received a fifth place finish, the then No. 6-ranked Texas was surpassed by the then No. 8-ranked Iona. This weekend however, Texas is determined to perform to the standard that was set by their initial No. 6 position.

The Wisconsin Adidas Invitational will be held Friday at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course. The race includes two separate races, the Championship Race, beginning at 12 p.m., and the ‘B’ Race, beginning at 2 p.m.

Running in the Championship race are senior Rory Tunningley, who led the Longhorns in the Louisville Classic, and sophomore Craig Lutz. Also making their first season appearances are senior Kyle Merber, junior Ryan Dohner and sophomore Mark Pinales.

Lutz, who up until the Louisville Classic, led the team in every meet since his start with the Longhorns, was disappointed in his performance two weeks ago and plans to improve his run Friday. “The Louisville meet was a very selfish situation for me. [Assistant coach John Hayes] said it was the poorest mental performance he’s seen me produce. Coming into Wisconsin this week I feel like just getting things under control will make all the difference,” Lutz said.

Additionally, freshman David Anamosa, senior CJ Jessett, junior John McNamara, junior Kevin Rayes, sophomore Kyle Thompson and freshman Shaun Van der Walt will attempt to keep a winning tradition alive for the third year in a row in Cedar Park at the Annual Cross Country Invitational hosted by Concordia University at 8:45 a.m. Saturday.