Man found dead in Shoal Creek identified by APD

Austin police have identified a man found dead Saturday morning in a downtown creek as 21-year-old Cole Christianson of Anchorage, Alaska.

Austin Police Department spokesperson Jennifer Hebert said Christianson’s death has been ruled “not suspicious” by APD, and the department will not conduct any further investigation. Sarah Scott, chief administrative officer for the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office, said Christianson’s cause of death is still unknown, and her office is awaiting the results of toxicology testing on his body, which could take six to eight weeks.

Scott said Christianson’s body was found Saturday morning at 11:10 a.m. by an employee of Austin Music Hall. Scott said Christianson was lying in Shoal Creek behind Austin Music Hall, located at 208 Nueces Street. Christianson was a former student of the University of Alaska Anchorage, officials said.

UT economics senior Dennis Beaudo, a friend of Christianson’s who attended Dimond High School with him in Anchorage, said Christianson was a big hockey fan and was funny, popular and kind.

“He made a lot of people laugh. He had a really big smile,” Beaudo said. “He treated everybody really well and was kind to everybody that he knew.”

Printed on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 as: Police identify body found in Shoal Creek