Texas swept in weekend road trip

2012_10_14_Soccer_vs_Kansas_Zachary_Strain1580
Elisabeth Dillon

Midfielder Gabby Zarnegar protects the ball against Kansas. After starting 4-1 in Big 12 play, Texas dropped two road games.

After getting off to a fast start in Big 12 play, Texas dropped two straight decisions this weekend with only one game remaining in the regular season.

On Friday, Texas traveled to take on Baylor. The Bears have the best offense in the Big 12, and they came through in a 2-1 overtime win. Texas held them scoreless for most of the game, but a 30-yard shot in the 80th minute broke the scoreless draw for Baylor.

Texas answered in the 89th minute as Sharis Lachappelle drove in a 27-yard free kick to send the match into extra time.

Baylor had been putting pressure on the Texas defense all night, out-shooting Texas 22-5. The pressure paid off in the 105th minute as sophomore midfielder Alexa Wilde put a header in the back of the net to give Baylor the game winning goal.

With West Virginia winning the night before, the loss knocked Texas out of contention for the conference championship.

The loss was compounded as Texas stayed on the road with a match against formerly conference winless TCU. TCU scored in the 18th minute to secure the 1-0 win.

Texas outshot TCU 17-10, but only four shots were on target.

A late rally by Texas was not enough, as the Horned Frogs held on for their first conference win of the season.

The Longhorns won their first three conference games, but have lost three of their last four with the final game of the season Friday. West Virginia has locked up the Big 12 regular season championship.

Texas has won four conference games for the first time since 2008, and has a chance at five later this week against West Virginia.