Texas Volleyball extends win streak with sweep of TCU

2012_10_03_Volleyball_vs_TCU_Elisabeth_Dillon10208
Elisabeth Dillon

Freshman Molly McCage had a season-high ten kills and hit .833 during Texas’ 3-0 sweep of TCU.

Freshman middle blocker Molly McCage had a breakout night Wednesday against the TCU Horned Frogs in Fort Worth. The Longhorns secured the victory while extending their win streak to 13. The Longhorns swept the Horned Frogs 3-0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-17).

With the sweep, the No. 7 Longhorns extended their record to 19-3 on the season while maintaining a perfect 11-0 in Big 12 play. TCU fell to 13-10 on the season and 2-8 in conference play.

McCage logged 10 kills, a college career high, while hitting an impressive .833. Both junior Bailey Webster and sophomore Haley Eckerman had dominating nights with double digit kills of 15 and 14, respectively. Eckerman also had 17 digs and three service aces against TCU.

Texas hit .423 for the night while its defense held the Horned Frogs to a hitting line of .158, holding them to a mere .034 in set one. Texas also dominated in the error count, accumulating only nine errors on the night to 14 accumulated by the Horned Frogs in three sets.

The Horned Frogs were led by Mattie Burleson, who hit .333 for the night while logging nine kills, and totaled a team-high 12 points.

The Longhorns, behind head coach Jerritt Elliott, are one Big 12 win away from tying the record for best conference start with 12 wins. This is also the sixth straight season that Texas has posted a win streak of at least 13 wins.

They face No. 16 Kansas at home Friday at 7 p.m. in Gregory Gym. Longhorn Network will cover the game.

Printed on Thursday, November 1, 2012 as: McCage leads sweep, unbeaten streak grows