Texas takes undefeated record into home opener with Jackson State

A week after claiming the No. 19 spot in the country, the Longhorns will confront a new foe in their first game Tuesday night at the Frank Erwin Center.

The women’s basketball team will carry its undefeated record into its first matchup against Jackson State in school history. The team is 2-0 after a dominating performance in the WBI Tip Off Classic last weekend.

The Longhorns opened up their slate of games in Daytona Beach with a 70-60 win over a solid St. John’s team. Sophomore Nneka Enemkpali recorded her first-ever double-double in this contest, imposing her will with 25 points and 12 rebounds.

Enemkpali again led the dominating effort against Hofstra, finishing the game with 26 points and 10 rebounds to record her second straight double-double. Texas outrebounded Hofstra 62-31 in its 72-52 victory showing tenacity on the boards that will definitely cause trouble for Jackson State.

Enemkpali was named the MVP of the tournament after converting 18 of her 25 shots attempted last weekend. Junior Chassidy Fussell was named to the All-Tournament team in a weekend that also saw her make the Naismith Trophy early season watch list.

Texas carries a 34-4 record in its previous 38 home openers into this game, as momentum continues to build for a team on the rise.