UT student robbed Friday night, suspect in custody

A man is facing a felony charge after police say he robbed three individuals at gun point during a drug deal in South Austin. The wallet of one of the individuals robbed contained a UT school identification card.

Ricky Francis, 28, is being charged with aggravated robbery, a first degree felony punishable with five to 99 years in prison and a possible fine of up to $10,000, following a Tuesday robbery. According to an affidavit issued for Francis’ arrest Thursday, he and three others spoke to three individuals in a separate car Tuesday night at a convenience store in East Austin. The four individuals in the other car agreed to follow Francis to an apartment complex to purchase marijuana from him.

According to the affidavit, once at the complex, Francis robbed them with a semi-automatic handgun. One told police his UT school identification card had been stolen.

According to the affidavit, police were dispatched to a report of gunshots at the University Village Apartment Complex, located at 1301 Crossing Place, later that night. They detained Francis and two others, Charles Beltran, 23, and Thomas Iglehart, 22. A black, semi-automatic handgun was found on Beltran’s person, and he was arrested for felon in possession of a firearm. Francis was arrested for public intoxication.

According to the affidavit, one of the victims' phones was found on Francis’ person and the student’s wallet was found in the car Francis was in possession of. The three victims identified Francis as the man who robbed them earlier that night. Beltran told police Francis had asked to borrow his gun earlier that night, and he did not know about the robbery. Francis was additionally charged with aggravated assault.

Printed on Monday, Dec. 3, 2012 as: UT student robbed, suspect in custody