UTPD officer arrests felon after he attempts to sell him stolen UT merchandise

A Leander man is facing a felony charge after University of Texas police say he tried to sell a uniformed officer licensed UT apparel he had stolen from a nearby Walgreens pharmacy with the price tags still attached.

Larry Phillips, 41, was arrested Wednesday by UT police and charged with theft, a state jail felony punishable with 180 days to two years in prison and a possible fine of up to $10,000, according to an affidavit issued for his arrest that day. According to the document, Phillips approached a UTPD officer Wednesday around 1:00 p.m. at Domino’s Pizza, located at 1900 Guadalupe St., and tried to sell him a University of Texas football jersey for $10.00.

According to the affidavit, Phillips had two other jerseys and a UT T-shirt, all on hangers and all with Walgreens price tags attached. Phillips told the officer he had gotten the apparel from a friend. A University of Texas police officer went to the nearest Walgreens, located at 4501 Guadalupe St., and the store’s manager told him employees stopped Phillips from stealing a shirt from the store earlier that day. 

According to the affidavit, the manager of the store was able to scan the tags on the apparel Phillips had in his procession and determined they were property of the store. 

According to the affidavit, the value of the merchandise Phillips had was $91.96. He was also charged on an outstanding warrant he had for “Pedestrian in a Roadway” and has already been convicted of theft twice this year.

In regard to the incident, on the campus watch crime report issued by UTPD Officer Darrell Halstead Thursday, Halstead wrote, “Stay Out of Jail Tip: Never a good idea to offer to sell stolen property to a uniformed cop.”

Printed on Monday, Dec. 3, 2012 as: Stolen Texas apparel leads to UTPD arrest