Longhorns post 17 top-five finishes in Arkansas

Interim head coach Rose Brimmer and her team of Longhorns welcomed 87 points to finish third at Arkansas’ Razorback Invitational Friday and Saturday.

Reaching new heights, Shanay Briscoe’s second-place high jump finish (6-2) preceded Natasha Masterson and Kaitlin Petrillose’s top pole vault finishes at second (13-2.25) and fourth (12-8.25) respectively. Two held its place as the magic number when A’Lexus Brannon took second in long jump (20-0.5) while the 200-meter race saw Christy Udoh (23.87) and Courtney Okolo (23.89) represent the Longhorns in third and fourth.

Saturday brought Udoh and Okolo further 3rd-place victories; Udoh in the 60-meter finals (7.48) and Okolo the 400 (53.10). In the longer distance events, Mia Behm, Kendra Chambers, Katie Hoaldridge, Marielle Hall and Brittany Marches all finished top-seven in their respective races. The team rounded up with a second place (3:31.69) finish in the 4×400-meter relay from Udoh, Chambers, Okolo and Briana Nelson.

“We knew that this meet would be a meet where we would have great competition,” Brimmer said. “I am so impressed with how our kids responded to the level of this meet. They weren’t intimidated by anyone and they stepped up like warriors.”