Softball team advances to Texas Classic

The No. 9 Longhorns advanced to the championship game of the Texas Classic — Sunday at noon against North Texas — after defeating Texas A&M Corpus Christi, 8-0, in the run-ruled semifinal game Saturday.

Kim Bruins provided the offense and defense in the cold, misty semifinal game, Texas’ second game of the afternoon. She pitched a five-inning shutout allowing five hits while striking out six. She also hit her first homer of the season, a two-run shot, in the third to break the game open 3-0 in the third inning.

Like the other games this weekend, Texas had that one big inning to break things open. After Bruins’ homer, catcher Mandy Ogle hit a two-run double following an Islander error. Texas ended up putting a five spot in the inning, opening a 6-0 lead. And they never looked back on their way to a run-rule.

In the first game of the day (the last of pool play), Gabby Smith stifled Memphis’s bats in route to a 3-0 victory.

Despite posting just one strikeout, Smith relied heavily on her defense as she pitched strikes, allowing just one walk. And the defense came to help her earn her first career shutout as third baseman Taylor Hoagland, shortstop Taylor Thom and second baseman Stephanie Ceo made stellar defensive plays ranging into the holes and diving stops.

On offense, two unlikely heroes came through in Ceo and Katrina Scott. Ceo successfully reached base all three times to begin an inning, scoring two of the four runs. After a scoreless four innings and leaving runners on base, Scott came through with an RBI single, her second game-winning RBI in two games.

In the tournament so far, the Longhorns have pitched three shutouts and outscored their opponents 26-1.