PCL to be 24/5 indefinitely

2013-03-19_PCL_charlie
Charlie Pearce

Student Government President Thor Lund, University Library Director Fred Heath and Vice President Wills Brown announce the indefinite continuation of the PCL’s 24/5. Keeping the PCL open 24 hours a day will come at the price of $40,000 more each year. 

The Perry-Castañeda Library’s 24/5 schedule will continue indefinitely, cementing its status as a home-away-from-home for students. 

Keeping the PCL open 24 hours, five days per week, will cost $40,000 more per year. Last semester, the PCL received funds from the Student Services Budget Committee, Office of the Provost, Division of Student Affairs and Texas Exes, but those organizations had only committed to funding the extended hours for the 2012-2013 academic year.

UT Athletics has historically given funds to the library system and decided to increase its planned donation this year to enable the extended hours, Natalie England, intercollegiate athletic communications manager, said.

Student government president Thor Lund and vice president Wills Brown, whose terms finish at the end of the month, campaigned on increasing the PCL’s hours. Lund, who presided with Brown at a celebration event launching PCL 24/5 for the rest of the spring Monday night, said he and Brown are happy to obtain the financial commitment from UT Athletics and have their main campaign promise realized. 

“It was just last year that Wills and I were standing outside the PCL with cardboard signs that said ‘24-hour PCL,’” Lund said. 

Brown said the donation has a deeper significance than simply fulfilling a goal he and Lund had set for themselves.

“It’s exciting, but it’s not about me or Thor,” Brown said. “It’s about the students and what makes them happy.”

Patrick Marsh, petroleum engineering senior and baseball player, attended the event on behalf of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee to show his support of the extended hours. 

“With practices and games, having a library open at odd hours can only benefit us,” Marsh said. 

Electrical engineering freshman Abhi Kallur said he has already logged plenty of hours in the PCL — “as much as a freshman can” — and is happy to learn the hours had been extended indefinitely.

“Usually I can say most people study past 2 a.m.,” Kallur said. “It kind of gives you that extra motivation to keep going.”

Pre-pharmacy freshman Johana Campos said she is happy the extended hours mean she no longer has to walk home at 2 a.m.

“I live really far, and I’m always scared,” Campos said. “I would probably take a nap and keep studying.”

Printed on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 as: PCL to be 24/5 permanently