Avoid football with these top bands

Sphynx

For a good time, go to a Sphynx show. This synth-pop and rock band is known for both ridiculously patterned matching pants and being able to get a crowd dancing in no time. While they’ve released singles and EPs, toured the country and played festival circuits in Austin, the band has not yet relased its debut full-length album.

Shakey Graves

Alejandro Rose-Garcia, also known as Shakey Graves, is Austin’s current folk hero. Rose-Garcia has successfully drawn crowds from all over the country using only his voice, a beat-up guitar and a handmade suitcase kick drum. Fans new and old can catch him at an official Austin City Limits Music Festival Late Night Show with Phosphorescent in October.

Ringo Deathstarr 

This band is loud. Only in college should you risk bursting your eardrums at a local band’s show in a grungy bar. Besides the genius band name, Ringo Deathstarr is made up of talented noise and fuzz rockers. They’ve toured internationally and as openers for Smashing Pumpkins. So check ‘Attending’ on the Facebook event if this band is on the lineup.

Dana Falconberry

Dana Falconberry moved from Michigan to Austin to launch a career as a lo-fi pop-folk artist who has since traveled out of the city on national tours. If slowly swaying along to intricate vocals with soft orchestration in a pastel-colored dress sounds appealing, don’t miss Falconberry on one of her stops through her adopted hometown. 

Max Frost 

Former UT student turned Atlantic-signed recording artist Max Frost is Austin’s answer to sexy, suave rhythm and blues a la Justin Timberlake or Robin Thicke. This solo, multi-instrumental singer and hip-hop producer is only 20 years old, but he played Blues on the Green this summer and will be at this year’s ACL Festival. Grab a front row spot and you’ll be able to say you were one of the first to see Frost.