Ole Miss student in critical condition following downtown assault

Carson Otter, a senior at the University of Mississippi, was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries following an assault near the intersection of Trinity and Seventh Street Saturday night. Otter is being treated for brain trauma at the University Medical Center Brackenridge in Austin where he remains in critical condition.

Candy Otter, the mother of Carson Otter, posted on Facebook on Sunday that Carson was showing signs of progress.

“Today Carson was able to breathe on his own for a few hours, still on ventilator but showing great signs!” Candy Otter said on Facebook Sunday. “Considering his surgery was only 30 hours ago, he is doing fantastic!!”

In the post, Candy Otter said that the doctors caring for him were pleased with his progress and that he had been responsive, opening his eyes and nodding at her.

According to Veneza Bremner, a spokeswoman for the Austin Police Department, Otter was attacked by an unidentified assailant at 2:08 a.m. Saturday following an argument. Otter was punched in the face and sustained major head trauma upon hitting the ground. The assailant returned to his vehicle and fled the scene. Investigators at APD cannot say what initiated the argument.

Bremner said the assailant was a passenger in a silver or white four-door sedan. Police have no leads in the investigation.

According to Ole Miss’ campus newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, Otter received emergency brain surgery at the hospital. 

On Facebook, dozens of Otter’s friends have changed their display pictures to the Ole Miss “M” with the phrase ‘Prayers for Carson Otter’ emblazoned across the “M.”

Ole Miss played Texas in football on Saturday night at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The Rebels beat the Longhorns 44-23.