Russell Erxleben, former UT and NFL star, will remain locked up

Russell Erxleben, a former NFL kicker and UT football player currently in federal custody for spearheading a slew of bogus investment operations, will stay behind bars until his trial begins Jan. 6.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel told attorneys he needed more time to review Erxleben’s case and postponed his ruling on whether to release Erxleben on bond.

The three-time All-American player is currently serving time for leading a slew of investment operations since 2005, including a Ponzi scheme that defrauded his associates out of $2 million in nearly four years.

According to Daryl Fields, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Justice, Erxleben will have to wait another four months before his trial can resume.

“Trial date is January 6,” Fields said in a email. “No decision yet by judge as to Erxleben’s’ bond request. Judge took the information from today’s’ hearing under advisement and will render a ruling at a later date.”

According to the Austin American Statesman, court records indicate Erxleben’s most lucrative enterprise compelled his clients to invest in defrauded post-World War I German government gold-bearer bonds from the 1920s and 1930s.

During Erxleben’s first detention hearing in May, Judge Andrew W. Austin mandated that Erxleben remain behind bars until his trial. Andrew said Erxleben posed a financial threat to the community and doubted his ability to stay out of trouble.

“He manipulates people,” Austin told the Statesman. “He manipulates them with fear. He manipulates them with guilt. He manipulates them with promises.”