Energy Institute discusses energy technology policies

2013-09-20_Energy_Symposium_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

Greg Nemete, associate professor at the University of Wisconsin, speaks at the energy symposium hosted by the University of Texas Energy Institute on Thursday evening. Nemete’s presentation covered his research on alternative energy systems and the influences of energy policies on the public. 

Students can measure their energy use through technological tools.

That’s what Greg Nemet, associate professor at the University of Wisconsin in the La Follette School of Public Affairs and the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies, told students during an energy symposium Thursday in the Peter O’Donnell
Jr. Building.

Nemet, who studies models of alternative energy systems, explained how energy policies influence the lives of college students. His research shows students should be able to analyze their energy use with technological tools.

“Young people have more at stake on energy and climate issues than anyone else,” Nemet said. “My greatest source of optimism in addressing these profoundly difficult challenges is that we have lots of smart people setting out on careers and thinking about ways
to engage.”

The energy symposium discussed research methods that could explain the process of technological change in energy and its interaction with public policy. 

Nemet talked about the influences of past technological changes and the effects of energy policies on future technological outcomes. 

The talk was held by the UT Energy Institute, a body of scholars from multiple schools and research institutes within UT, whose members study a variety of energy issues. The Institute holds weekly energy symposiums with different speakers to introduce students and faculty to energy
policy questions.

Carson Stones, global policy studies graduate and teaching assistant for the symposium, explained how attendees benefit from the Institute’s events.

“Attendees can expect to get access to cutting-edge research, which is highly relevant to today’s most difficult energy questions,”
Stones said.

The Institute gives students the opportunity to broaden their educational experience by creating a community around energy issues of importance to the University. The talks are organized around four main pillars: policy, education, research and
commercialization.

International relations and global studies senior Alaina Heine said she attends the weekly events and explained how the insights of different speakers
influence students.

“Learning about a holistic look on energy, politics and economics gives a different view of every sector,” Heine said. “The level of speakers is incredible and allows students the opportunity to speak with graduate students with
different viewpoints.”