No David Ash means long odds for Longhorns against Sooners

The Associated Press

For the first time this season, Texas isn’t favored. The Longhorns are double-digit underdogs and for good reason. Their performance against Iowa State was as bad as a win can get. A one-point victory against a mediocre Cyclones team is nothing to get excited about, especially when it took a controversial fumble call to make it happen. The Sooners are undefeated, and while their offense has struggled a bit, their defense has been dominant. Oklahoma is giving up only 13 points per game, the sixth-fewest in the nation.

David Ash is still out with a head injury, and for reasons unknown, Mack Brown and co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite all but abandoned a productive run game last week and instead allowed their backup quarterback, Case McCoy, to drop back and pass a career-high 45 times. If that continues against the Sooners, this game could get ugly. Fans are clamoring for freshman quarterback Tyrone Swoopes to get a shot, but if Swoopes was going to play, he should’ve got in last week. Playing a true freshman for the first time in the Red River Rivalry may not be the wisest idea.  I’ll take Oklahoma to cover.

Oklahoma (-13) vs. Texas

Lock of the Week

Baylor (-17) at Kansas State

Riding Baylor has paid off all season. The Bears are averaging a ridiculous 70.5 points per game, only four points less than their basketball team averaged last year. Baylor hasn’t played on the road yet this season, but I don’t think it matters. Until there is video evidence of the Bears failing in 2013, consider them a safe bet. Kansas State is coming off a tough loss against Oklahoma State. They played well, but I just don’t see the Wildcats offense keeping up this week.

Upset Alert

Georgia Tech (+6) at BYU

Georgia Tech has come close to pulling off upsets in each of the last two weeks, losing a defensive struggle to Virginia Tech, 17-10, and allowing Miami (FL) to pull away late in a 45-30 loss. This week they get another shot against an inconsistent BYU team. Don’t be fooled by the Cougars’ domination of Texas. Those were two mediocre teams playing each other. The Cougars have lost to both Utah and Virginia.

Darren's record: 8-7 (.533)