Sports recaps

Men's swimming and diving

Fourth-ranked Texas traveled to Bloomington, Ind. on Friday and split wins against Indiana and Michigan for the second year in a row. 

The Longhorns cruised past the ninth-ranked Hoosiers with a 108-point victory, but fell short against No. 1 Michigan with a score of 166-134.

Texas began the meet strong with a one-two finish in the one-meter diving event. In another strong performance, freshman Michael Hixon claimed the event with 373.25 points while freshman Mark Anderson secured second.

Freshman Jack Conger took home first in all the backstroke events. Conger started by taking the 100-yard backstroke in 48.36 before winning the 200-yard distance in 1:45.13. Conger would then go on to capture his third win of the night in the 100-yard butterfly. Texas also saw great performances from junior Clay Youngquist, who notched wins in the 100 and 200-yard freestyle.

The Longhorn distance swimmers were headlined by sophomore Sam Lewis. Lewis put together a strong swim in the 1,000 and finished in 9:09.92.

The Longhorns will resume the regular season Nov. 8 when they take on Virginia, Penn State and West Virginia in Charlottesville, Va.

Women's swimming and diving

Texas looked dominant in its wins against Indiana and Michigan in a double-dual meet Friday, beating the latter by a 210-90 margin.

Longhorn divers swept the three-meter event to open competition, with junior Emma Ivory-Ganja picking up her second win in as many weeks.

Senior Samantha Tucker won the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:47.43, earning Texas’ first individual swimming victory of the day. 

Freshman Tasija Karosas finished first in the 200-yard backstroke for the third time this season, besting her two previous times with a mark of 1:56.74.

Texas concluded the meet with a win in the 400-yard freestyle relay, posting its best time of the season in 3:21.06.   

Up next the Longhorns will face Penn State, Virginia and West Virginia in a meet in Charlottesville, Va., on Nov. 8.  

Men's tennis

Texas juniors Adrien Berkowicz and Clement Homs played some of the best tennis of their young Longhorns careers this weekend, when they both advanced to the finals of their respective draws at the UT Invitational.

Berkowicz advanced to the finals in the A draw where he defeated Cutura (6-7, 6-3, 6-1) to claim the UT Invitational singles A draw title while Homs advanced to the finals of the B draw before falling to Texas Tech’s Jolan Cailleau in straight sets (6-3, 6-1).

Senior Sudanwa Sitaram, No. 93 in the nation, was also in the B draw falling to Cailleau (6-0, 6-3) in the quarterfinals. In the singles A draw, freshman George Goldhoff advanced to the semifinals before falling to Tyler Junior College’s Mate Cutura (7-6[7-4], 7-6[7-4]).

In doubles Cutura/James Martell defeated Goldhoff/Jacoby Lewis (8-3) in the round of 16. Berkowicz/Homs fell to TCU’s Andres Alfonzo/Trey Daniel (8-6) in the doubles quarterfinal.

Texas finishes fall tournament play 65-39 in singles.

Rowing

Both varsity and novice squads collected wins over the weekend at Austin Rowing Club’s 29th annual Head of the Colorado.

Texas’ varsity boat won the five-entry open eights race, sweeping the competition. The Longhorns crossed the finish line in 18:19.9, more than a minute and a half before second-place LSU Rowing Club.

Texas also claimed a win in the novice-2 eights race with a time of 21:25.2. The Longhorns finished ahead of Oklahoma by more than 30 seconds.

On Sunday, Texas’ varsity raced in New Jersey in the three-mile Princeton Chase. Two Longhorn boats competed in the 52-entry women’s varsity eight, finishing 27th and 28th. Texas’ A boat crossed the finish line with a time of 16:06.36 and Texas’ B boat just behind, with a time of 16:10.47.

The Longhorns also competed in the women’s varsity fours. Texas’ A boat finished 14th in 17:50.73 just behind Rutgers and Cornell. Following was Texas’ B boat in 27th place with a time of 18:32.37. 

Overall, women’s rowing found success in its regattas over the weekend. The teams prepare to wrap up their fall season this weekend in Tennessee at the Head of the Hooch.

Women's golf

The Alamo Invitational in San Antonio began Sunday for the women’s golf team, as it ended the first round in 14th place with a score of 7-over-par 295. 

Junior Bertine Strauss led the team and ended her day at 4-over-par 76. Freshman Julia Beck was in the No. 2 spot and finished with a score of 2-over–par 74. 

Sophomore Tezira Abe finished the best for Texas with an even-par 72, while sophomore Natalie Karcher finished with a score of 2-over-par 74. Abe ended tied for 27th, and then Beck and Karcher tied for 49th on the overall leader board. Oklahoma, ranked No. 5 in the NCAA before the event, took first place in Sunday’s round with a score of 10-under-par 350. 

Freshman Sara Scarlett, competing as an individual, and Anne Hakula in position five also participated in the event for Texas, ending the first round with scores of 10-over-par 82 and 3-over-par 75 respectively. 

The second round will begin Monday at the Briggs Ranch Golf Course.