Texas Volleyball sweeps Nebraska, heads to Final Four to try for another national championship

Volleyball_vs_Nebraska_Shelby_Tauber
Shelby Tauber

The Longhorns are headed back to the Final Four.

Junior outside hitter Haley Eckerman had 14 kills and 15 digs to lead top-seeded Texas to a straight sets win over 8th seed Nebraska and into the semifinals.

Texas will now travel to Seattle, Wash. to face off against No. 12 Wisconsin on Thursday.

Texas, the defending NCAA champion, downed Nebraska (25-19, 25-22, 25-23), the first sweep of Nebraska at home since 1989 and only the fourth sweep of the Huskers ever in Lincoln.

The Longhorns (27-2) dominated the first set, opening up a 6-1 lead and never letting Nebraska (26-7) as the Huskers hit just .106 against the strong Longhorn defense. The second set was tight, but Texas outscored Nebraska 5-2 after a 20-20 tie, taking the win on a block by senior outside hitter Bailey Webster.

Texas trailed for much of the third set but pulled ahead 18-17 on a pair of service aces by sophomore outside hitter Amy Neal and clinched the win on two Webster kills that made the score 24-22.

Webster had 12 kills for the Longhorns. Kelsey Robinson led Nebraska with 21 kills.