Weekend recaps: men’s and women’s tennis, track and field

Men's Tennis

The Texas track and field program competed at both the Razorback Invitational and the Bill Bergan Invitational over the weekend, posting strong results without sending complete squads.

The short-distance women went to Ames, Iowa, for the Bergan Invitational and won each of the four events they entered.

But the most impressive performance of the weekend came from Fayetteville, where senior distance runner Sara Sutherland won the women’s 3,000-meter in convincing fashion with the third-best time in school history.

“[Sutherland] knocked it out of the park,” head coach Mario Sategna said. 

Sutherland led the entire race and finished 18 seconds ahead of second-place teammate, senior Marielle Hall.

Sophomore Zack Bilderback dominated the men’s competition as he won the 400-meter at the Bergan invitational with a personal-best time of 46.98. 

The squad will return to Albuquerque, N.M., on Friday for the New Mexico Collegiate Classic.

Women's Tennis

The wind persisted throughout Texas’ meeting against Stanford, ultimately blowing in favor of the Cardinal, as the team beat the Longhorns, 6-1.

No. 17 Texas (3-1) came into this match without losing more than one point against its first three opponents.

The Cardinal, ranked No. 1, fared better than that, with no points lost through its first two matches.

Stanford claimed the doubles point with wins by its two top-16 tandems. No. 15 Kristie Ahn/Carol Zhao knocked off No. 21 Breaunna Addison/Pippa Horn, 6-2.

Senior Elizabeth Begley dropped her match at No. 2 singles (6-2, 6-0). Freshmen Neda Koprcina and Horn lost their matches as well, giving Stanford the victory.

Though the match was already decided, freshman Ratnika Batra continued her round against No. 34 Caroline Doyle. Batra prevented a Cardinal sweep with a 6-2, 6-3 win.

The Longhorns will travel to Charlottesville, Va., on Friday to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.

Track and Field

The short-distance women went to Ames, Iowa, for the Bergan invitational and won each of the four events they entered.

“[Sutherland] knocked it out of the park,” head coach Mario Sategna said in a statement. 

Sophomore Zack Bilderback dominated the men’s competition as he won the 400-meter at the Bergan invitational with a personal-best time of 46.98.