By The Numbers: Kansas

2012_10_27_Football_vs_Kansas_Elisabeth_Dillon286
    Elisabeth Dillon

Quarterback David Ash looks to throw against Kansas last weekend, Oct. 27. Thanks to difficulty first against Oklahoma and then against Kansas, Ash must have a solid game to stay ahead of Case McCoy on the depth chart.

81-37-3: Texas’ record in its fourth game of the season, a win percentage of 67 percent.

1938: The last time Kansas defeated Texas. The Jayhawks won the first two meetings between the schools but have dropped the past 11 games by an average of 29 points. Texas is 8-2 all time in its fourth game after starting the season 1-2.

1997: The only other time the Jayhawks faced Texas while sporting a better record than the Longhorns. Texas won that game 45-31. The Jayhawks are currently 2-1 while the Longhorns sit at 1-2.

38-15: The average score, in the Longhorns’ favor, of Texas’ series against Kansas. The average score of Texas’ five wins in Lawrence is 34-16.

1-2: This is the third time in school history Texas has started 1-2 in consecutive years. Last season, after starting off the season 1-2, the Longhorns defeated Kansas State 31-21 in their first of six straight wins.

2007: The last time the Longhorns dropped their conference opener, falling to Kansas State 41-21. Since the formation of the Big 12, Texas is 15-3 in conference openers.

4: Texas senior running back Malcolm Brown scored a career-high four touchdowns against the Jayhawks in last year’s 35-13 victory in Austin.

20.7: The Longhorns enter their conference opener averaging 20.7 points per game, tied for eighth in the league. The Jayhawks, however, are the only team that scores less per game than the Longhorns, averaging only 20.3 points per contest.

15.7: The Longhorns have averaged only 15.7 first downs per game thus far, worst in the Big 12. Kansas’ 17.3 is the next lowest.

7: The number of tackles for loss recorded by junior defensive tackle Malcom Brown, tied for sixth nationally. In non-conference play, the Jayhawks allowed 5.33 tackles for loss per game, so expect to see more of the same from Brown in this one.

31: The Longhorns have gained 10+ yards from scrimmage only 31 times so far this season, tied with Iowa State for the lowest by a Power Five conference school. The Longhorns are one of only 18 FBS teams to have not recorded a play of 50+ yards from scrimmage thus far.

3: Texas senior receiver John Harris has caught a touchdown in each of Texas’ first three games this season. He is only the third Longhorn ever to do so.  

12.33: Texas senior linebacker Jordan Hicks is averaging 12.33 tackles per game, tied for seventh most in the country.