NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell meets with Charlie Strong

2014-09-27_Football_v_Kansas_Amy
Amy Zhang

Although the Longhorns didn’t return from Lawrence, Kansas, until late Saturday night, head coach Charlie Strong was back at work Sunday morning. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations, met with Strong to seek his advice on the moral dilemmas plaguing the league.

“[Strong’s] emphasis on character [and] respect over talent is molding the next generation of football talent,” Vincent tweeted. “Commissioner and I are focused on strengthening relationships with colleges. Thank you for your time today [Charlie Strong].”

The NFL has recently come under fire for its lax discipline policies. The league received broad criticism for waiting to discipline Ray Rice, former Baltimore Ravens running back, following allegations of domestic violence. After the accusations spread and video footage went viral, the Ravens terminated Rice’s contract Sept. 8. The
Minnesota Vikings placed running back Adrian Peterson, who was indicted for child abuse, on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list
on Sept. 17.

Throughout the month, the NFL has worked to restore its image and credibility amid criticism from a wide range of outlets. Goodell visited the National Domestic Violence Hotline in Austin for three hours on Saturday night. The following morning, he and Vincent met with 11 former NFL players, followed
by Strong.

“This morning, [Goodell] [and] I met [with] [Coach Strong] to discuss core values, game integrity, [and] college relations. Great meeting, great input,” Vincent tweeted.

Strong’s “core values” have attracted national attention during his time at Texas and at Louisville. Strong requires players to be honest, treat women with respect and refrain from drugs, stealing and guns — all policies he actively enforces. Since arriving in Austin, Strong has dismissed nine players who violated team rules and three other players are currently suspended from playing in games.

Most recently, Strong dismissed junior offensive tackle Kennedy Estelle on Tuesday. 

“The blueprint of this program has been and always will be the change in helping direct the lives of young people,” Strong said. “I’m sorry that another player had to be dismissed, but when you’re told something over and over again, then you want to make sure that you’re provided with the right resources so that you can change lives.”

John Clayton, ESPN senior NFL writer, said in an interview that Goodell met with Strong in hopes of expanding his response resources and developing a long-term
disciplinary plan.

“Strong has been dealing with issues at his school, and what the league and what the players association want to do is try to find different types of ideas that they can use to come up with some kind of a plan because I think it’s pretty evident they don’t have a plan that’s working right now,” Clayton said.