Weekend recaps

Men's tennis

The men’s tennis team concluded fall individual competition with nine singles wins and four doubles wins at the Florida Invitational.

The Longhorns started off hot, finishing the opening round with a 4-1 singles record. Senior Lloyd Glasspool, junior Nick Naumann and sophomore George Goldhoff didn’t drop a set against their North Florida opponents. Senior Adrien Berkowicz was forced to a third set against North Florida senior Norbert Nemcsek, but rallied to complete the sweep.

Glasspool and Naumann, who paired up for the first time in two years, picked up two wins in doubles play. Søren Hess-Olesen normally pairs with Glasspool, but he was in New York for the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships. The senior two-time All-American was forced to withdraw from competition because of an injury.

Berkowicz and Goldhoff accounted for the other two doubles wins. They finished the invitational with an 8-5 victory over Nemcsek and No. 15 sophomore Jack Findel-Hawkins of North Florida.

No. 31 Glasspool went 2-1 in singles play, while No. 56 Goldhoff went 1-2. Berkowicz finished the invitational with a 3-0 singles record.

Redshirt freshman William Jou finished 0-3 in singles play. He teamed up with Miami freshman Kevin Bondar for doubles, and the duo went 0-3 for the weekend.

Naumann picked up his fifth win over a ranked opponent, defeating No. 70 Florida junior Gordon Watson, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.

The Longhorns will resume play when they host the UT Invitational on Jan. 9.

Women's soccer

Texas women’s soccer entered the semifinal round of the Big 12 Championship against No. 9 West Virginia on the heels of a penalty shootout win over No. 16 Texas Tech in the quarterfinals. Fortune, however, was not with the Longhorns on Friday, as Texas drew West Virginia 0-0 and then lost the penalty kick shootout, 6-5.

The top-seeded Mountaineers entered the game with one of the best offenses in the nation, and it took brilliant play by Longhorn junior goalkeeper Abby Smith to keep them at bay. Before falling in the penalty kick rounds, Smith saved eight of the Mountaineers’ 24 shots to keep the game scoreless through 90 minutes of regulation and two 10-minute overtime periods.

Now, the Longhorns wait for Monday when they hear whether or not they qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

“We played overtime matches against the No. 16- and No. 9-ranked teams in a 48-hour span and fought each of them to the bitter end,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “This team has obviously shown it can compete with the best teams in the nation.”

Women's softball

Texas softball traveled to San Marcos to face Texas State on Friday night for its first away match of the fall season. The Longhorns collected an 8-2 scrimmage win to remain undefeated.

Sophomore infielder Devon Tunning had an excellent game, going 4-for-4 with two singles, a double and a home run. Senior outfielder Marlee Gabaldon and junior catcher Erin Shireman each tallied a home run. Gabaldon slapped a two-run home run, while Shireman hit a solo home run.

With its eight runs against Texas State, Texas has now outscored the opposition 51-7 this fall.

The Longhorn pitchers have also been exceptional so far this season. Freshman pitcher Erica Wright struck out five batters over two innings of work. In the five fall scrimmages, Wright has pitched 11 innings and has struck out 23 batters. 

Texas will finish off its fall campaign against the Sun City, Texas, Veterans at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Women's swimming and diving

The women’s swimming and diving team hosted their first meet this season Friday, falling to No. 9 Texas A&M, 169-131.

The No. 2 Longhorns put up a fight in five individual victories over Texas A&M, some races as close as milliseconds and fingertips apart.

The meet began with a race of that sort, as a slim 40 milliseconds determined the A&M victory in the 200-yard medley relay to start Texas out at a 5-point deficit. It wasn’t until the third event that sophomore Madisyn Cox pulled out a Texas win in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:47.61.

Senior Gretchen Jaques once again dominated the 100 breaststroke in the fifth event of the meet, going 1:00.72.

Texas narrowed the point margin from 19 to 6 points with races such as the 200 butterfly, in which Texas had a 1-2-3 victory over A&M.

In the 200 backstroke, sophomore Tasija Karosas clocked in at 1:54.97, just five milliseconds behind Texas A&M’s Lisa Bratton. 

All-American senior diver Emma Ivory-Ganja put a hold on the Aggies’ winning streak by placing first on the 3-meter board with 347.40 points, while Cox raced in the 200 IM, resulting in another Texas gain with a time of 1:59.64.

The Aggies, now 4-0, finished off the night with their 11th and final win against Texas in the 400-yard freestyle relay, besting Texas’ 3:21.65 with a time of 3:20.40.

Now with a current 5-1 standing, Texas has a two-week break before competing in the three-day Texas Diving Invitational at home from Nov. 20-22.