Big 12 Notebook: Week 12

Big12Notebook_2014-10-11_Red_River_Showdown_Shelby
    Shelby Tauber

Oklahoma QB Knight out for Saturday

Redshirt freshman quarterback Cody Thomas will finally see some significant playing time for the Sooners on Saturday against Texas Tech. Oklahoma’s usual starter, sophomore Trevor Knight, went down with an injury to his shoulder and neck in the fourth quarter of the Sooners’ loss to Baylor and was on the ground for about 10 minutes before being stretchered off. The ensuing MRIs and X-rays were negative, but Knight did not practice Monday and the team announced Thursday that he will not play this weekend. Thomas has only completed 7-of-16 passes this season for 50 yards and an interception.

Gary Patterson campaigning for TCU

There’s still a little less than a month until the College Football Playoff committee decides the four teams that will get to play in the inaugural playoff, but TCU head coach Gary Patterson has already begun campaigning for his team to be in it over Baylor. Despite having lost, 61-58, on the road to the Bears, Patterson said, after the win Saturday against Kansas State, he has no issue arguing for his Horned Frogs.

“To me, it’s you play who you play and how you do it,” Patterson said. “I don’t see how any of the games they have left would mean any more than the games
    we have.”

The toughest remaining game on TCU’s schedule is at Texas on Thanksgiving night, while Baylor will have one last chance to impress the committee at home against Kansas State on Dec. 6.

Kansas coach approves goalpost celebration

Kansas football has had difficulty finding a win in the Big 12 over the past few years, so it didn’t surprise too many when, after the Jayhawks beat Iowa State, the school’s students rushed the field, tore down the goalposts and carried parts of them out of the stadium. Although he hopes the program will one day move past that point, interim head coach Clint Bowen said he was fine with what the students did.

“For people to go out there and be able to enjoy a Kansas victory was good to see,” Bowen said. “It was good to see the students having fun; it was good to see our players
    having fun.”

Kansas football fans likely won’t get the chance to celebrate like that again for a while as the team’s last home game comes Saturday against playoff contender TCU.

Pair of Bears receive Big 12 honors

The Baylor offense had a field day against Oklahoma on Saturday, scoring 48 points and defeating a ranked opponent on the road for the first time since 1991. For its effort, two Bears were recognized with Big 12’s weekly honors. Sophomore receiver Corey Coleman was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week after totaling 15 catches for 224 yard and two touchdowns — both career highs.

Redshirt freshman kicker Chris Callahan was named the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week after accounting for 12 of the 48 points. Callahan was 2-for-2 on field goals and nailed every extra point. He has made his last 12 field goal attempts.

Cedric Reed, Texas senior defensive end, rounded out the awards, earning the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honor. After a slow start to his senior campaign, Reed broke out of the slump with 12 total tackles — including four for losses — three sacks and a forced fumble in the 33-16 win over West Virginia. He also recorded a crucial safety late in the game.