Texas women’s basketball falls to Oklahoma State

2015-02-09_Womens_Basketball_VS_Baylor_Joshua

Texas’ 66-60 loss to Oklahoma State on Wednesday night stretched its time without a win in Stillwater, Oklahoma, to six years. 

The Cowgirls missed five of their first six shots, allowing for a quick 8-point lead for the Longhorns. But Texas’ struggles with turnovers continued, as it tallied 12 in the first half.

“We had the quick 10 points and then missed three layups in a row,” head coach Karen Aston said.

Aston quickly called a time out when Oklahoma State took its first lead of the game with a little over six minutes left in the first half. With seconds left before the break, Cowgirls senior forward Liz Donohoe made a 3-pointer before Texas freshman guard Brooke McCarty received the inbound pass and put in a 35-foot 3-pointer to shrink Oklahoma State’s halftime lead to 4 points.

“We didn’t have the sense of urgency we needed,” Aston said.

Texas would go on to lose its eighth Big 12 game of the season, and the Longhorns have not yet tallied a road win in conference play. Despite the loss, the Longhorns recorded 36 total rebounds.

Although associate head coach Travis Mays is desperate to start claiming wins again, he is pleased with the increased effort from the Longhorns.

“It’s just hard to see that your team is getting better when you don’t see the wins,” Mays said.

In the back half of the conference schedule, Texas will look to continue communication and adjust after losing senior forward Nneka Enemkpali, Big 12 rebound leader, to a knee injury.  

Texas will return to action against the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence, Kansas, on Saturday with the hope of finding its first Big 12 road win.