Give a toast to toast

ONLINE_2015-02-16_Toast_ElisabethDillon5186
Elisabeth Dillon

Go ahead and toss out your box of stale Wheaties — because there’s a new breakfast of champions in town, and it goes by the name of “toast.”

Toast may not sound like the flashiest way to start your day, but breakfast is crucial for students, and toast is an easy grab-and-go option. Not to mention that toast has recently experienced a renaissance, and avocado toast, specifically, has become the darling of the Internet world. Simply spread some avocado over your bread, then toss on fresh ingredients to make a meal that will jumpstart your health game.

So, how do you make the most epic and Instagram-worthy toast? Find the right vehicle for all your wonderful toppings and know that heavily processed white bread is not the answer here.

White flour turns into sugar as it’s digested. Therefore, it’s best to avoid it and save your sugar intake for better things, such as fruit and smoothies. I recommend Ezekiel bread instead, which is made of sprouted grains and is completely flourless. Even the clean-eating goddess Gwyneth Paltrow eats Ezekiel bread. It gives you a good amount of healthy carbs to get you revved up for the windy morning walk through West Campus. 

Picking your toast is the easy part, however. Toppings are what really matter and give you leeway to create a totally “you” breakfast all the while staying healthy and eating wholesome. 

Your first instinct might be to go buy some spreadable butter, but put that tub next to the white bread now sitting in your trash can. Butter and margarine have trans, saturated and monounsaturated fats, which increase your risk for heart disease and raise your cholesterol. Instead, choose a healthier fat, such as coconut oil or almond butter, as a base for sweeter toasts. 

Strawberries, full of all the good vitamin C your immune system needs this cold season, are a great, sweet topping on their own. They also pair perfectly with almond butter and raw honey to create the open-faced PB&J of your childhood dreams. 

If you prefer something warm in the morning, throw a mixture of fresh or frozen berries into a small saucepan and cook them down with some cinnamon and chia seeds into a jamlike consistency. That’s definitely a toast-worthy spread. 

Don’t forget about savory options. Spread avocado over warm and perfectly crisp Ezekiel bread. Sprinkle a bit of red pepper chili flakes and salt overtop before loading on a pile of spinach for extra crunch. Consider investing in a bag of hemp hearts to top your toast with. The plant bursts with natural plant protein and omega fatty acids to get your skin glowing.

Essentially, anything you do with toast will provide a super nutritious and filling breakfast that your roommate will envy. But feel free to spread the love — not butter — and show them the way of the toast. It’s the next best thing since sliced bread.

Recipe:

• – 2 slices Ezekiel bread
  • – 1 avocado
  • – Kosher salt, to taste
  • – Red pepper flakes, to taste
  • – 2 radishes, thinly sliced
  • – Green onions, diced
  • – 1 small lemon

Directions:

• – Toast Ezekiel bread and let cool slightly. Spread avocado overtop with a knife or mash down with the back of a fork. Sprinkle salt and red pepper flakes overtop. 
  • – Place radishes and green onions on top, then squeeze lemon juice over the toast.