Endorsements for TSM Board of Operating Trustees

Editor’s Note: The candidates for the Texas Student Media Board of Operating Trustees were judged based on their candidate columns, which ran last week. Only those candidates who submitted columns were considered. The participation rate is noted below. Two at-large seats are available, for which three candidates are running, along with one Moody College of Communication seat, which is uncontested. We have only endorsed in the at-large race. Voting takes place Wednesday and Thursday at utexasvote.org.

At-large seats — 66 percent participated

Amil Malik is a Plan II, business honors and finance junior. She has worked at the Texan every long semester of her college career. She has worn many hats for the paper as well as Texas Student Media, having served in a number of opinion positions in addition to helping a previous editor determine alternative sources of revenue in the face of declining print advertising. Her commitment to this organization is unequaled. We strongly recommend Malik.

McKay Proctor is an English and business honors senior. While he has no prior experience with Texas Student Media, we found compelling his story of missing the now-defunct student-run radio station at Vanderbilt University in his hometown of Nashville. His appreciation of student media as part of the bedrock of UT culture will, we hope, protect TSM from any heavy-handed cost-cutting measures during his tenure. We recommend Proctor.