UT System Board of Regents defers decision to name finalists for Powers’ replacement

The UT System Board of Regents interviewed three finalists for the UT Presidency in a closed-door meeting Wednesday, but decided not to name the finalists.

The Board of Regents deferred action to name a finalist or finalists until later this month. The interviews, held in an executive session, included coversations with each candidate's spouse. Chairman Paul Foster said he expects finalists will be named within the month of March.

UT System Chancellor William McRaven recommended the Board of Regents delay their decision in order to perform more research on the candidates, according to a report from the UT System.

In late February, “Horns Digest”, an online sports journal, named four alleged finalists for the UT presidency. The journal named Greg Fenves, executive vice president and provost of UT, David Daniel, president of UT Dallas, and Andrew Hamilton, vice chancellor of the University of Oxford in England.

Foster said the premature realease of potential finalists' names is "frustrating and disappointing."

"I’m as frustrated as anybody whenever there are leaks," Foster said. "The search committee was a broad cross section of alot of different people and I don’t know where the leaks came from, I certainly dont want to point fingers at anybody, I wouldn't even know who to point my finger at."