Seven under-appreciated frozen treats for warmer weather

Yeti_FrozenTreats_CourtesyofKateZimmerman
Courtesy of Kate Zimmerman

Although Punxsutawney Phil prophesized that winter would continue, the weather is gradually starting to warm up here in Austin. As temperatures rise, students will need to cool off with frozen treats of all varieties. The Daily Texan compiled a list of underappreciated frozen sweets you should check out this spring. 

Yeti Frozen Custard is a local company working to churn out the dreamiest custards in town. Go ahead and forget about Sandy’s, because Yeti rules the custard landscape with flavors such as cinnamon toast, roasted strawberry and coffee house. Their strongest offering is blueberry pancake. You have full permission to have a bite — or several pints — for breakfast. Find Yeti pints in grocery and convenience stores across Austin for about $8 each.

GoodPops are all-natural and locally sourced popsicles created by former UT student Daniel Goetz. The popsicles can be found in stores across town, including Whole Foods Market, and come in a variety of flavors. They’re all under 100 calories, so you might as well grab a couple boxes while you’re at it. The chocolate milk flavor will make you “moo” for more, and the strawberry lemonade will kick any lemonade stand to the curb. Boxes of 4 cost about $5.

Arrested Development fans everywhere should rejoice that Bananarchy exists. The frozen banana stand is set to come out of winter hibernation in mid-March and will soon delight Austinites once more. You can build your own banana or choose from their specialties. AD fans will obviously go for the GOB, named for one of the show’s main characters. The Hippy Dippy — covered in granola, craisins and cinnamon — is another standout. It’s located in the South First Food Park and prices range from $2.75–$7.50.

True to its icy name, The Frozen Rickshaw food truck serves up cool treats off of Guad, just north of campus and behind Thai Kitchen. They offer ice cream and sorbet floats — but you should go straight to their mochi ice cream if you’re a first-time customer. It’s a Japanese dessert made out of rice and stuffed with luscious ice cream. Rickshaw’s flavors rotate, so you might have to go every week this hot weather season. The mochi will cost $2 per ball.

For those feeling a little fancy and in need of prime air conditioning, Sway is your best bet. The award-winning restaurant offers a variety of ice cream and sorbets, as well as a can’t-miss banana split. It’s loaded with drunken cherries, black sesame brownie and coconut milk jam, just to name a few ingredients. 

For those over 21, skip the typical Trudy’s margaritas and quench your thirst with a frozen blackberry mojito from South Congress Café. It is everything you could ever want in an alcoholic beverage and more.

Need a little caffeine fix to go with your cool down? Order the affogato at Clark’s Oyster Bar. It’s espresso poured over toasted marshmallow ice cream. Yeah, you read that right. Toasted marshmallow ice cream.