SXSW Live Blog: Monday, March 16

IMG_0389+%281%29
Marshall Tidrick

Over the course of this week, we'll be live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the outrageously hip and sweaty. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Sunday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Updated (6:28 p.m.): Judd Aptow’s latest muse, Amy Schumer, is anything but a train wreck. After hearing Schumer talk on The Howard Stern Show, Aptow contacted Schumer about collaborating. Monday, the stand-up comedian was in town for the premiere of “Trainwreck,” the film she wrote. Schumer also stars in as the lead role — a woman also named “Amy.”

When the comedian isn’t working on her budding film career, Schumer is writing, directing and starring in her Comedy Central sketch show “Inside Amy Schumer.” Schumer is on the road till mid-April and will host the MTV Movie Awards on April 12. “Trainwreck”  premieres nationwide July 17.

Amy Schumer speaks about her new movie, "Trainwreck," at SXSW.  Photo by Marshall Tidrick | Daily Texan Staff

To read more about Schumer's discussion, and to hear her thoughts on sex, movies, feminism and everything in between, click here.

Update (5:37 p.m.): A brain, an athlete, a basket-case, a princess and a criminal.

In honor of “The Breakfast Club’s” 30th anniversary, Universal Studios premiered the digitally remastered film at the Paramount Theatre on Monday. The movie releases in theaters March 26 – 31. Before the screening began, the film’s stars Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy reminisced with the audience.

“I ate at least three entire sandwiches,” Sheedy said, referring to the pixie sticks-and-Captain-Crunch snack her character eats.

To read a full recap of the event, click here.

Update (5:22 p.m.): "Spy," the latest offering from actress Melissa McCarthy and writer and director Paul Feig, debuted last night at SXSW. The film seems tailor-made for McCarthy's sense of humor. “Spy” delivers a solid, humorous take on a genre that is already pretty ridiculous. To read our movie reviewer's full take on the film, click here.

Update (2:18 p.m.):  Four days into SXSW, the music-intensive portion of the program is about to begin. Empire Control Room is hosting its first day of acts.

Lauren Bruno, lead singer of Austin band Les RAV, waits for her 2:20 p.m. performance at Empire Control Room. Photo by Marshall Tidrick | Daily Texan Staff

Empire will be hosting a full day of acts, with headliners including Gary Clark Jr., Shakey Graves and Wild Child. UT band Dacoit played a set at 12:40 p.m. Dacoit is composed of vocalist Zoe Yin, geophysics junior, drummer Jake Hiebert and guitarist Thomas Boswell, Plan II juniors, and bassist Matias Pasch, religious studies senior.

Listen to Les RAV's song "Darkness" now:

Update (12:11 p.m.): Julia Louis-Dreyfus, star of HBO's "Veep," talked about the similarities and differences between the universe her show portrays and the real-life Washington, D.C. at a SXSW panel Monday. Louis-Dreyfus said the idea of a woman serving as president or vice president in the near future does not seem "far-fetched, by any means."

Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, star of HBO's Veep, speaks at a SXSW panel Monday. Photo by Marshall Tidrick | Daily Texan Staff

Update (11:01 a.m.): Right now, editor Kat Sampson is live-tweeting "The VEEP Speaks," featuring Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Follow her at @katclarksamp for highlights from the discussion.

Livetweeting for Julia Louis-Dreyfus's panel "The VEEP Speaks" begins at 11 a.m. The panel covers the intersection of politics & comedy. #MCxVeep

Update (11:00 a.m.): Happy morning to all of you! Get pumped for another manic Monday. On our agenda for today:

•  
  • The VEEP Speaks
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus, the star of HBO’s comedy "Veep,"  will give the inside scoop about the making of the show, discuss the politics of comedy and reminisce about "Seinfeld."
  • When: 11 12 p.m
  • Where: Austin Convention Center Ballroom D
  •  
  • The Breakfast Club 30th Anniversary Restoration World Premiere
  • In celebration of the film’s 30th anniversary, the fully restored version of the 1980s classic will screen. "The Breakfast Club" stars Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy are expected to join the audience.
  • Where: Paramount Theatre
  • When: 12:15 2:00 p.m.
  •  
  • A Conversation with Amy Schumer
  • Actress and writer Amy Schumer will talk about her stand-up, Emmy-nominated show "Inside Amy Schumer" and her new film "TRAINWRECK."
  • Where: Austin CC Room 16AB
  • When: 3:30 pm
  •  
  • Upright Citizens Brigade presents Wild Horses
  • Comedians Stephanie Allynne, Mary Holland, Lauren Lapkus and Erin Whitehead perform as their long form improv group, Wild Horses.
  • Where: The Hideout
  • When: 9:00 10:30 p.m.

— Danielle Lopez

Update (10:26 a.m.): Weather Report

Fourth day of SXSW and the morning is shaping up to be a hazy one. Cloud coverage is consistent throughout the day. Temperatures will linger above 70 degrees. If today is any indication of the previous three days, clouds will burn off by afternoon. Check the full weather report here.

Update (10:16 a.m.): Although Austin locals have three days of SXSW under their belt, thousands of out-of-towners are still pouring in for the rest of the festival. Just now getting here, or still on your way? Good news: You will be able to use Uber at the airport. To read about the airport-Uber showdown that nearly left thousands of arriving SXSWers without the popular driver-calling app, click here.