The best bands The Daily Texan saw during SXSW

Breyona Mitchell

Across an array of unofficial showcases, bands from Austin and beyond captivated audiences throughout the week. The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of the best acts to grace Austin’s stages over the past week.

Snõõper 

From an afternoon set at Radio/East to a late-night rager at the Ballroom, Nashville punk band Snõõper buzzed through Austin with a dynamic live show that looked like a prop department come to life. Snippets of broadcasts weave in and out of the group’s fast-paced debut album Super Snõõper, translating into a live experience equal parts channel surfing and crowd surfing. Saturday night saw the audience and band alike stage diving during the closing track “Running” as the group’s iconic mosquito puppet danced in the center of the crowd.

Fat Dog

Despite only releasing two singles, dance punks Fat Dog proved they’re not “All The Same” amidst a slew of talent from across the pond. From London, England, the act lived up to their reputation for lively shows at Valhalla on Thursday, reaching dizzying crescendos propelled by synths and saxophone. Vocalist Joe Love kept a steady command over the crowd as the audience danced to hits and unreleased songs while drummer Johnny Hutch donned a dog mask and kept a propulsive rhythm throughout.

Being Dead

Local surf punks Being Dead shone like a ray of sun on an otherwise cloudy day at Cheer Up Charlies on Saturday. On the heels of their most recent tour, the group treated audiences to songs from their critically acclaimed album When Horses Would Run as well as a few new tracks. On stage, the group offered their signature crystal-clear harmonies, instrument switch-ups and goofball shenanigans. 

Chalk Talk

Indie-rock group Chalk Talk traveled from sunny Southern California to play SXSW for the first time this year, taking to the stage at Kitty Cohen’s on Friday with equally sunny guitar, delicate keyboard and powerful vocals. With a mix of original material and an enthralling Angel Olsen cover, the all-female group provided a perfect soundtrack to the feeling of missing a “Cool Campus Crush” while on spring break.

Godcaster

Beginning their sets with a cacophonic clash of guitars, percussion and shouts, New York art-rock band Godcaster mesmerized audiences through a string of shows throughout the week. Singer Von Kolk’s radiant performance of “Pluto Shoots His Gaze Into the Sun” put showgoers in a spell-like state, only for the energy to pick back up as vocalist Judson Kolk wove through the crowd in a serpent-like dance during the band’s 10-minute epic “Didactic Flashing Antidote.”