SXSW Live Blog: Saturday, March 21

2015-03-20_SXSW_Ellyn
Ellyn Snider

South By Southwest 2015 is nearly over — today is the last major day of the weeklong marathon. Follow us here as we continue to live-blog the best and the worst of what SXSW has to offer. For minute-to-minute coverage, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Friday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Updated (9:23 p.m.): South By Southwest means a lot of things — music, celebrities, long lines everywhere you turn. For the staff on the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus, South By means a (sort of) vacation. www.dailytexanonline.com/2015/03/21/john-lennon-educational-tour-bus-makes-a-stop-at-sxswhttp://www.dailytexanonline.com/2015/03/21/john-lennon-educational-tour-bus-makes-a-stop-at-sxsw

Bryce Quig-Hartman is one of the on-board engineers aboard the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus. Graeme Hamilton | The Daily Texan

Updated (7:25 p.m.): 

Rapper and actor Snoop Dogg gave the SXSW Music keynote speech Friday morning. Snoop preached an ethic of hard work and respect. Michael Conway | Daily Texan Staff​

Updated (3:15 p.m.): After spending hours and hours in a variety of theaters across Austin, our movie reviewer, Alex Pelham, is finally finished. Check out his final review, of the unusual and suprisingly funny "Manson Family Vacation," here.

Courtesy of Logolite Entertainment

Want to catch up on all our SXSW movie reviews? We've compiled them all in one easy-to-browse list. Enjoy — and once you've seen the films, let us know what you think! Follow Alex on Twitter at @talkingofpelham and read his regular movie reviews here.

Updated (2:43 p.m.): "The Boy," the latest offering from director Craig Macneill, tries to subtly document a child's descent into a vicious creature. The problem is, his approach is too subtle — resulting in a totally unconvincing plot. Although the performances are great, the movie itself is dull. Read our full review of "The Boy" here.

Updated (2:14 p.m.): If there’s one thing MTV’s Woodie Awards can almost guarantee their audience, it’s variety. The Woodie Awards, which recognize the best in music as voted by college students, made a splash at SXSW on Friday night. Click here to see some of the night's big winners — including Fall Out Boy, Childish Gambino, Hoodie Allen and Taylor Swift.

Rapper Big Sean performs at the Woodies on Friday evening. Joshua Guerra | Daily Texan Staff​

Updated (1:34 p.m.): It’s Saturday, which means the time to go home and rest up is drawing near. But before that dreaded Monday begins, there are still plenty of people to see. On our schedule today:

•  
  • Christine and the Queens — French indie-pop singer-songwriter Héloïse Letissier, who self-describes her music as “freakpop,” performs at Empire Garage
  • When: 10:00 p.m. – 10:50 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: 21+

Marina and the Diamonds — Welsh singer-songwriter Marina Diamandis performs her indie-pop, new wave music at Empire Garage

• When: 11:00 p.m. – 11:50 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: 21+
  •  
  • MS MR — Indie-pop, New York-based duo Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow perform at Empire Garage
  • When: 12:00 a.m. – 12:40 a.m.
  • Age Restrictions: 21+
  •  
  • For live-tweets from the concerts and from downtown in general, follow us on Twitter at @katclarksamp and @ldlopz. We'll be tweeting to the very end.

Updated (12:04 p.m.):

SXSW volunteer Bianca Benavidez watches crowds downtown on Friday evening. SXSW-goers had to deal with rainfall on Friday, but this didn't deter massive crowds and lines. Stephanie Tacy | Daily Texan Staff

Updated (11:36 a.m.) Our intrepid movie reviewer, Alex Pelham, is finally winding down his thorough examination of all SXSW Film has to offer. To read his reviews of "Ava's Possessions" and "Creative Control," click here.

Courtesy of Ghost Robot Films 

Updated (11:25 a.m.): Weather Report

Good morning, slightly-damp festival-goers! And good news for those of you who like rain: You'll be seeing more of it today. Temperatures will linger in the low- to mid-60's for the rest of the day and into the evening, with scattered showers and bouts of drizzle between now and about 4:00 p.m. Austin is technically under a flash flood warning that's set to expire at 7:00 p.m. Want more? Check out the full forecast here.