SXSW Live Blog: Tuesday, March 17

2015-03-16_SXSW_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

Over the course of this week, we'll be live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the outrageously hip and sweaty. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Monday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Update (11:00 p.m.): "Get Hard" features an all-star cast of Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart. Unfortunately, these great actors can't save this film from being a trainwreck. Although the film boasts such talent, the plot and humor drive it into the ground. To read the full review of  "Get Hard," click here.

Update (8:46 p.m.): In the middle of South By Southwest Trade Show’s business suits, out-of-this-world technology and bundles of free swag, custom vinyl maker Wesley Wolfe blasted a classic 60s soul record.

Wolfe is the owner of Tangible Formats, a business in North Carolina that cuts custom vinyl records for people in need of small quantities. Wolfe, one of more than 250 exhibitors at this year’s trade show, was returning to the festival for the fourth time. To read about Wolfe's process for creating custom vinyl records, click here.

Update (8:16 p.m.): If you are thinking of driving downtown, don’t. Parking is a horrendous pain. Don't believe us? Check out the Austin parking map featured on the Austin municipal government website. The map updates every hour and displays available street parking. Red lines signal 100 percent capacity; orange and green lines signal at least one place to park.

For the majority of the festival, the lines will remain red. Consider parking north of the Capitol in a public parking garage or on the street and taking Capital Metro Bus 1 or 3 to the corner of Fourth and Guadalupe streets. A single fare bus trip is $1.25.

If you have trouble understanding the Austin bus schedule, download the CapMetro app or the Transit app. Both give you the closest stops to your location and the most efficent routes to your destination.  Routes can also be calculated on the CapMetro website, http://www.capmetro.org/.

– Kat Sampson

Update (4:00 p.m.): Editor Kat Sampson is live-tweeting the South By Southwest panel "Breaking the News in the Age of Snapchat," featuring Dan Rather. Follow her @katclarksamp for updates. #digitalnews

Update (1:10 p.m.): As music kicks into gear at SXSW, be sure to check out our recommendations for the best free music events at SXSW here

Update (11:00 a.m.): To check out our slideshow of Monday at SXSW, click here.

Update (10:30 a.m.): Weather report:  Today is the first day of bad weather, with rain and lightning expected to start around 3 p.m. Don’t plan on cloud coverage burning off today. Temperature will hang around 75 degrees. Make sure to bring an umbrella and a waterproof bookbag to hold electronics. Check the full weather report here.

Update (10:00 a.m.): Good morning, Austin! It’s only Tuesday, and the number of celebrities we’ve seen is unreal.

On our schedule for today:

•  
  • “Wild Horses”
  • The world premiere of actor and director Robert Duvall’s “Wild Horses.” The film follows Texas Ranger Samantha Payne who reopens a 15-year-old missing person case, featuring Adriana Barraza, James Franco and Josh Hartnett.
  • Where: Paramount Theatre
  • When: 11:30 a.m. – 1:10 p.m.
  •  
  • Breaking the News in the Age of Snapchat
  • Newscaster Dan Rather, Dan Pfeiffer, a former top strategist to President Obama, and digital strategist Andrew Bleeker discuss how digital technologies have changed mainstream media and journalism.
  • Where: Austin Convention Center
  • When: 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  •  
  • Torres, Waxahatchee, Angel Olsen
  • The American folk and indie rock singer performs.
  • Where: Mohawk Outdoor
  • When: 1:00 a.m. – 1:40 a.m.

— Danielle Lopez