Best local options for Easter brunch in Austin

SUB_2012-02-13_Brunch_Chez_Zee_Shannon
Shannon Kintner

Austin restaurants, like Chez Zee, add unique touches to brunch menus, including anything from prickly pear jelly to Chipotle cream gravy to southern style mimosas.

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the weekday, but brunch is the most important meal of the weekend, and Easter is no exception. The Daily Texan compiled a list of the best brunch offerings around Austin this weekend. To beat the crowds, you may want to make a reservation.

Jack Allen’s Kitchen

For $16.99 per person, Jack Allen’s Kitchen serves a Sunday brunch buffet fit for true Texans. The menu features items such as chicken fried chicken, house cured ham and tomato and basil pie. The restaurant locally sources its food, which varies depending on the produce that’s in season, meaning you can keep coming back for tasty new meals.

Where: 7720 Highway 71 West

When: Sunday brunch,
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Chez Zee

It may be famous for its crème brûlée French toast, but Chez Zee doesn’t stop there with brunch offerings. Gingerbread pancakes, champagne mimosas and Belgian waffles are all good reasons to wake up and get out of bed. If you’re craving something more savory, opt for the southern crab cakes benedict. Chez Zee accepts Easter brunch reservations through a reservation system on its website.

Where: 5406 Balcones Dr.

When: Saturday and Sunday brunch, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Perla’s Seafood & Oyster Bar

Seafood fans belong at this South Congress staple. Perla’s serves up rich and enticing brunch fare every weekend. Cold bar oyster options are always a good choice, but, if there’s a picky eater with you, suggest the homemade donut or the brandied baked grapefruit. The lobster and egg-white frittata with roasted tomatoes, avocado and basil will satisfy the egg lover in your brunch club. If the option is available, sit out on Perla’s patio and think about all the South Congress shopping you can do after you eat.

Where: 1400 S. Congress Ave.

When: Saturday and Sunday brunch, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Josephine House

Nestled in the quaint and historic Clarksville neighborhood, Josephine House is the place to go for brunch if you want to feel  fancy. It serves fresh baked pastries, such as zucchini-and-carrot bread or buckwheat scones, in addition to hot
offerings from the kitchen. You can’t go wrong with $16 lemon ricotta pancakes served with
house-made cultured butter. Another solid option is the duck hash that comes with a sunny-side-up egg, duck confit, broccoli, potatoes, turnips and red chimichurri. Wash all the goodness down with a fresh beet, orange and ginger juice.

Where: 1601 Waterston Ave.

When: Saturday and Sunday brunch, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.