Five vegan, vegetarian-friendly restaurants

2015-04-14_Mothers_Stephanie
Stephanie Tacy

Austin is steadily becoming one of the leading culinary cities in the nation. At the forefront of the food movement are vegan and vegetarian restaurants. The Daily Texan complied a list of the best meat-less options around the city.

Counter Culture

• 2337 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • Daily 11 a.m.–10 p.m.

Counter Culture epitomizes a vegan-friendly restaurant. What began in 2009 as a food trailer, evolved into a restaurant that serves up dairy-free and raw foods even carnivores would like. The savory dishes feature tempeh, seitan and cashew cheese, and the desserts are mainly sweetened with dates. Try the raw oatmeal banana split for $8 or the country biscuit bowl
for $7.50.

Mother’s Cafe

• 4215 Duval St.
  • Monday –Friday 11:15 a.m.–10 p.m.
  • Saturday—Sunday 10 a.m. –10 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday brunch 10 a.m.–3 p.m.

An Austin staple since 1980, Mother’s Cafe delivers huge plates of comfort food, such as tofu lasagna and a variety of stir frys. If you’re feeling adventurous and up for a mess, opt for the sloppy momma joes, featuring textured vegetable protein on a vegan whole wheat sesame bun. Finish it all off with a slice of vegan Belgian chocolate chip cake for $4.95. 

Casa de Luz 

• 1701 Toomey Rd.
  • Daily 7 a.m.–8:30 p.m. 

The dining experience is a bit unconventional, but you can’t go wrong with Casa de Luz. The cafeteria-style menu changes daily, and the options are few. Start by picking out a soup and salad to eat at their communal tables while you wait for your vegan plate to arrive. Entrees are typically loaded with veggies and hearty rice that’s full of flavor. Twelve dollars will get you an organic meal that won’t leave you the least bit hungry.

Wheatsville Co-op

• 3101 Guadalupe St.
  • Daily 7:30 a.m.–9 p.m. 

Wheatsville, a cooperatively-owned grocery store located just off the Drag, has prepared food, a hot-and-cold bar, and a counter to order entrees and drinks made from scratch. The popcorn tofu is Wheatsville’s star choice. It’s great on its own, or try it stuffed into a po’ boy with cashew tamari and assorted veggies for $6.49. Keep an eye out for the vegan macaroni and cheese in the hot bar to pair with the tofu.

Bouldin Creek Cafe

• 1900 S. First St.
  • Monday–Friday 7 a.m.–midnight
  • Saturday–Sunday 8 a.m.–midnight

Vegan and gluten-free options fill the majority of the menu at Bouldin Creek Cafe. House-made sauces and dressings make all the dishes stand out, and the chipotle-pecan pesto is a real winner. The $8.25 veggie royale sandwich is the veggie burger dreams are made of, while tacos and omelets galore make for a strong breakfast game that’s served all day.