Nightly events to attend your first week back in Austin

2015-03-2_Raw_Paw_Charlotte
Charlotte Carpenter

Whether you spent your summer cooped up inside a stuffy office or out in the sun doing back-breaking labor, your first week back in Austin is prime time to experience all the nightly events the city has to offer. Below is a list of events to take advantage of each night this week before classes fall into full swing. 

Monday, Aug. 24

What: Andy Ritchie Benefit Comedy Show

Where: Spider House Ballroom, 2906 Fruth St.

Time: 9:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.

Price: $5 in advance, $8 at the door

Spider House will host a comedy show Monday with sets from four previous winners of the Funniest Person in Austin contest, a two-month-long competition in which local comedians are judged and eliminated according to a bracket as they compete for the title. All the proceeds from the show will go directly to the 2011 winner, Andy Ritchie, who recently underwent treatment for a brain tumor. 

Tuesday, Aug. 25

What: Cards Against Highball

Where: The Highball, 1120 S. Lamar Blvd.

Time: 8 p.m.

Price: Free

Take your Cards Against Humanity skills outside of your apartment and compete against other Austinites at The Highball bar Tuesday night. At every table, the winners of the popular raunchy card game will receive passes to Alamo Drafthouse, conveniently located next door. Attendees also have the chance to win a grand prize by retweeting a photo of their “best” and “worst” card combinations from the night.

Wednesday, Aug. 26

What: Patio Talk’s Wednesday: We Say Bye With A Little Help From Our Friends!

Where: Coldtowne Theater, 4803 Airport Blvd.

Time: 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Price: $5

All-female local comedy troupe Patio Talk is celebrating the final Patio Talk’s Wednesday this week at Coldtowne Theater. Come out and celebrate their final show with free champagne and live comedy with special guests Ed Reed, Naomi Perryman and Kyle Sweeney.

Thursday, Aug. 27

What: Testify: Into the Wild

Where: Spider House, 2908 Fruth St.

Time: 7 p.m. doors, 7:30 p.m. start

Price: $5

Amateurs grace the stage to tell personal stories at Testify, a monthly live storytelling show held at Spider House the last Thursday of every month. This month, five speakers will share personal stories that relate to the theme: Into the Wild. Live music will be provided courtesy of D. Lindsay Nailling.

Friday, Aug. 28

What: Moojo Welcomes Longhorns Back to Campus with Free Ice Cream Sandwiches

Where: Moojo, 2322 Guadalupe St.

Time: 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.

Price: Free

Between 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, the ice cream sandwich shop Moojo is offering free ice cream sandwiches to anyone who follows either their Facebook or Instagram profiles with a valid UT student ID. 

Saturday, Aug. 29

What: Raw Paw Alien Zine Release Party

Where: The Mohawk, 912 Red River St.

Time: 8 p.m.

Price: $8 presale, $10 at the door

Local publishing house Raw Paw is hosting a party to celebrate the release of Raw Paw Volume Six: Alien, a 114-page collection of art, text and music from local creatives. The party will feature live music from local bands, and music festival tickets will be up for grabs for the attendee with the most standout dance moves and best alien style.

Sunday, Aug. 30

What: Karaoke Underground

Where: Cheer Up Charlies, 900 Red River St.

Time: 10 p.m.

Price: Free

More than 900 punk and indie classics comprise the catalog for Karaoke Underground, an alternative karaoke show for Austin’s hipsters. With songs from the Pixies and Joy Division to Modest Mouse and Belle & Sebastian, Karaoke Underground offers a one-of-a-kind karaoke experience catered toward punk and indie fans.