Horns Up, Horns Down: September 15

0915_MelWestfall_illo_up018
Melanie Westfall

Horns Up: Longhorn Football (finally) wins.

With a 42-28 win over Rice, UT won its first football game of the season and evened its season record. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard threw a pair of touchdown passes and rushed for almost 100 yards in his first career start. With two more home games in the next two weeks, Texas has a chance to build some momentum heading into matchups against TCU and Oklahoma next month.

Horns Down: No one was there to notice.

If a sloppy two-touchdown win is the best Texas could do against the lowly Owls, it’s hard to imagine the Longhorns beating stronger competition in the Big 12. Rice outgained UT by 185 yards and picked up 30 first downs to Texas’ 11. And with 15,000 tickets left unsold, not a lot of fans got the privilege to watch Rice beat itself.

Horns Up: #newpresUT.

President Gregory Fenves will be sworn in Thursday as the University’s 29th President. We can finally learn about the new agenda and initiatives Fenves will have in store for campus. With Fenves’s inauguration, the University can look forward to a new slate and not being bogged down by the controversies of the past administration. It’s a new start for UT.

Horns Down: Inaugurations are stupid.

UT Human Resources sent an email Monday inviting students and faculty to Fenves’ Inauguration at Bass Concert Hall on Thursday at 3 p.m. Employees are encouraged to come “as long as it does not adversely affect the work of the department,” but must get approval first. Nothing says “too much trouble” like getting prior approval to listen to an administrator talk for an extended period of time.