Longhorns tame Tigers en route to 3-0 victory

2013-10-10_Volleyball_UT_Vs_Tech_Charlie
Charlie Pearce

No. 2 Texas defeated unranked Savannah State, 3-0 on Friday at the Wildcat Classic in Tuscon, Arizona. The match was the team’s first away competition of the season.

The Longhorns’ victory over the Tigers was their fourth consecutive straight-set victory and its third against unranked opponents in its last four matches. With the win against the Tigers, Texas improved to 8-1 on the season. Two more matches remain before conference play opens Wednesday.

Texas got out to a fast start against Savannah State on Friday, dominating the Tigers 25-7 in the first set. Junior middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu led the Longhorns once again, tallying eight blocks over the course of the match. She also registered a kill percentage of .727, tying her highest of the season.

It was a team victory for the Longhorns in many respects, with eight Longhorns compiling two or more kills. Additionally, Texas recorded a .565 kill percentage — its season high — while registering 38 kills, compared to just three errors. Texas held Savannah State to 9 points or fewer in each of the match's three sets — a feat the defense hadn’t yet accomplished in 2015.

The Longhorns have two matches left in the Wildcat Classic, beginning with a faceoff against No. 16 Arizona on Friday at 9 p.m. Texas will end its appearance in the Wildcat Classic on Saturday against unranked New Mexico State.