Texas Instruments CEO advises business students on innovation, reciprocation

2015-09-25_Texas_Instruments_CEO_Mike
Mike McGraw

Texas Instruments (TI) CEO Richard Templeton advised business students to strive for innovation and give back to employees at a lecture in the Union Ballroom on Thursday.

The lecture, hosted by the McCombs School of Business and Undergraduate Business Council, was part of the VIP Distinguished Speaker Series, which features speakers from various industries to share their perspectives and insights.

Templeton said one of the main missions of TI is to create a workplace where employees feel involved in their work while also focusing on projects in the surrounding community, which includes the company’s funding of local STEM education programs around Texas.

“We have a long history in terms of providing STEM education, which is a tremendous focus that we’ve been on and invested over $150 million over the past five years in,” Templeton said. “It’s been a strong history here at TI, and it remains strong today, so we’re proud to do it.”

Templeton became CEO of TI, a semiconductor manufacturing company, in 2008. Since he has taken over, the company has moved from wireless device production to becoming a “global leader in analog integrated circuits,” according to its website.

“One of McCombs’s unofficial slogans is ‘Ethics is Our Business,’ and that’s something we try to push — not just in VIP but in general,” said Kenny Young, finance sophomore and chair of the VIP Distinguished Speakers Series. “I think Templeton and TI is such an example and role model that we should all try to accomplish.”

Templeton further said future CEOs and workers must interact more with their employees if they want to see success and increased profits, which can only be achieved if employees are passionate about what they do and their end product.

“I wake up every morning, and going to TI is something I want to do,” Templeton said. “You have to get the hearts really engaged with the people, and you’ll see the work improve.”

Undeclared sophomore Kelly Coverick, who plans on declaring business, said Templeton taught her how to be an effective leader in business.

“To be a leader, you have to have a sense of urgency,” Coverick said. “You can’t sit back and let things happen. You have to put yourself in those situations, and you have to have followers and work in teams well.”