LBJ School names new director of development

The University appointed Maggie Gilburg as the new director of development for the Lyndon Baines Johnson School of Public Affairs.

Gilburg, former director of development for the Texas Tribune, said she is excited to take on the position as the LBJ School undergoes a change in leadership. The school currently has an interim dean.

”It’s sort of the end of one chapter and the start of another chapter,” Gilburg said. “It’s just a really exciting time to be here, to work on behalf of the school to expand what we’re doing, and to make a contribution.”

As director, Gilburg will lead the fundraising effort for the LBJ School. Gilburg will work with the current interim dean and faculty members to secure endowments, student fellowships and faculty initiatives, in addition to focusing on supporting the LBJ School’s Washington Center in Washington, D.C. Gilburg said the LBJ School will appoint a new dean effective in 2016.

“I have to continue the great momentum that the school has and build on that,” Gilburg said. “[Especially] during this transitional moment between the interim dean and the new dean, [I have to] keep everything running and in shape.”

The LBJ School is currently raising $1 million to match the funds given by Luci Baines Johnson, daughter of former president Lyndon B. Johnson, to the Washington Center earlier this year, Gilburg said.

After this one-year appointment, Gilburg said she “would love to come back” and continue with this position next year. The appointment was announced Oct. 6.