Free Austin events to attend this week

freeweekaustin0831_illo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s Note: In this recurring column, staff writer Katie Walsh recommends free events in Austin for the week.

Monday, Oct. 19

Monday Night Bluegrass Night

• Where: Radio Coffee & Beer, 4208 Manchaca Rd.
  • Time: 8 p.m.–11:33 p.m.

Every Monday night, Radio Coffee & Beer hosts a night of live bluegrass music starting at 8 p.m. The ensemble of string players will play classic bluegrass tunes and “none of those newfangled modern originals” until 11:33 p.m. 

For more information, click here.

Tuesday, Oct. 20

Astronomy on Tap #12

• Where: The North Door, 502 Brushy St.
  • Time: 7 p.m. doors, 7:30 p.m. event

On the third Tuesday of every month, professional astronomers Dr. Rachael Livermore and Dr. Jeffrey Silverman host Astronomy on Tap, a bar event that brings speakers to discuss astronomical topics. This month, Laura Trouille from the Adler Planetarium in Chicago will share stories from the Zooniverse, Dr. Brad Tucker from the Australian National University in Canberra will discuss his search for exploding stars and Astronomy on Tap founder Meg Schwamb will talk about Pluto.

For more information, click here.

Wednesday, Oct. 21

Mac Demarco Free In-Store Performance

• Where: Waterloo Records & Video, 600A N Lamar Blvd.
  • Time: 1 p.m.

Canadian rock artist Mac Demarco, known for his hit single, “Salad Days,” will perform a free show inside Waterloo Records Wednesday afternoon following his Stubbs show Tuesday night. All ages are welcome to listen to Demarco’s set as he tours across the country promoting his new 8-track LP “Another One.”

For more information, click here.

Thursday, Oct. 22

Fourth Annual COTA Fan Fest

• Where: Rainey St. 
  • Time: 7 p.m.

From Thursday at 7 p.m. through Saturday at 10:30 p.m., The Circuit of the Americas will host Fan Fest, a free festival of motorsports and music downtown. The festival, which takes place during the annual Formula 1 United States Grand Prix race, is held on Rainey Street and other venues scattered across downtown. On Thursday, a fan forum with Formula 1 racer Alexander Rossi will kick off the festival at 7 p.m., and musical performances by Elle King and Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue will follow at 8:20 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., respectively. 

For more information, click here.

Friday, Oct. 23

An Acoustic Punk Show featuring Members of Carl Sagan’s Skate Shoes, The Schisms, Borzoi 

• Where: Buzzmill, 1505 Town Creek Dr.
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.

A series of punk bands will strip down and play acoustic sets Friday night at Buzzmill. The music starts at 7:30 and will include sets from Austin-based punk bands Carl Sagan’s Skate Shoes, The Schisms, Borzoi and Pleasure Venom.

For more information, click here.

Saturday, Oct. 24

Video Dance Party: The ‘80s

• Where: The Highball,  1120 S Lamar Blvd.
  • Time: 10:30 p.m.

The Highball will host an interactive 80s-themed dance party Saturday night. Attendees should arrive clad in 80s attire ready to dance to Michael Jackson and Madonna music videos all night long.

For more information, click here.

Sunday, Oct. 25

Ready Steady Go

• Where: Rio Rita, 1308 E 6th St.
  • Time: 10 p.m.

Join Rio Rita in celebrating the age of GoGo dancers with a night of 60s punk, garage, mod and soul music. The retro dance party begins at 10 p.m.

For more information, click here.