Junior lefty steps up on Longhorn pitching staff

2015-10-05_Sports_WomensSoftball_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Head coach Connie Clark can’t help but brag about junior southpaw pitcher Tiarra Davis. 

“Tiarra is a huge part of this staff,” Clark said. “She’s important to the success of this team.”

Davis averaged nearly a strikeout per inning last year during her sophomore season. She also compiled 58.1 innings in 20 appearances. 

Davis knew her future lay in Austin when she was in high school. In an interview with ETFinalScore.com, the former Henderson Lion said she had no alternative college plans.

“Ever since I first picked up a ball, I wanted to be a Longhorn softball player,” Davis told the website.

“So when I noticed they were interested, I wasn’t focused on any other schools really.”

Now, Davis is at the top of the rotation for Texas, which is 3-0 in fall play. Clark said there are a few things she and Davis are still improving on. 

“We’re working on that changeup,” Clark said after last week’s win over Blinn. “She threw one tonight that was right where we want it. But the important thing is that we’ve got to have her in the mix in the spring.”

As the sole lefty in the rotation, Davis brings something to the team that the other pitchers don’t have.

“To have the stuff she has from the left side is phenomenal,” Davis said. “It’s nice to pair the righties we have with a southpaw like her.”

The righty-heavy rotation, along with the rest of the team, won’t play again until Oct. 29 against St. Edward’s. Thursday’s game against St. Mary’s has been postponed due to scheduled rain. A make-up date has not been finalized.