Senate hosts Academic Enrichment Week

UTC_Academic_Enrichment_Briana_Vargas5978
Briana Vargas

Academic Enrichment Week, a program hosted by the UT Senate of College Councils which aims to enhance students experience outside the classroom, began Monday.

The program featured a general study abroad information session Monday, a day of college-specific study abroad information sessions Tuesday and will include an internship workshop Wednesday.

“This is a study abroad outreach that is to let students know how accessible study abroad is and to dispel any uncertainties students have about study abroad,” Andy Cerecero, peer advisor in the Study Abroad Office said. “There is a program for everyone, as cheap as $1200. … The Study Abroad Office also gives out million dollars worth of scholarship each year. … No matter what major you are, what your financial situation is, it’s possible to study abroad.”

Cerecero, a government junior, said he just finished an application to an exchange program at Sophia University in Japan.

“This year I won’t be a representative from the Study Abroad Office giving an info session,” Cerecero said. “I’m going to be Andy, giving my own perspectives on the process of study abroad — how I’ve found out about it for a long time and how I’m ready to go, essentially, in April.”

Drishti Wadhwa, co-chair of the event, said she encouraged students to use pursue their academic interests while at the University.

“Study abroad and internship are the two biggest opportunities that UT offer,” Wadhwa, a chemical engineering sophomore, said. “We want to let as many students know about the resources and how to get them.”

Marine science senior Jordan Grant had the experience of studying abroad twice — first in Melbourne, Australia, on a general exchange program and second in Akumal, Mexico, on a faculty-led Maymester program in marine botany. Grant said he is currently applying for internships in Singapore for summer 2016.

“In Australia, I had Vegemite — a food paste made from leftover brewers’ yeast extract, used as a spread to be eaten with bread — which I [would’ve liked better] with butter,” Grant said. “Then in Mexico, I got to travel to Puebla and eat traditional food.”

On Wednesday, representatives from BBA Career Services at McCombs School of Business will give a presentation on tools students can use to find internships, including how to put together a resume and network with employers, co-chair Marisa Bayerlein said. Bayerlein, a public relations and marketing junior, said the Senate plans to hold an academic grants planning workshop in the spring.