Live Blog: Fun Fun Fun Fest Nov. 6, 2015

FFFlogo
Virginia Scherer

Update (11:45 p.m.): To end Friday evening, CHVRCHES put on a mediocre, but jubilant performance.

The trio attracted a large crowd, but failed to impress with a fairly uneventful performance. The instrumentation and lighting were fine, and the vocals were usually on point, but the band lacked an x-factor to make its show memorable.

Lauren Mayberry, the band’s singer, thanked the crowd often, and became a bit emotional when discussing the importance of Austin in her band’s career. Each band member seemed to give their all, but their stage presence was overall lackluster, missing something to make it a great performance for anyone but the most dedicated of fans.

Update (9:15 p.m.): During Rae Sremmurd’s performance, not only did the duo give a shoutout to smokers, but they danced like the night would never end.

Rae Sremmurd’s performance was more of a danceathon than anything. The two rappers might as well of not had microphones at all — with backing tracks which were essentially carbon copies of their recorded singles, they never needed to say a single word.

Ignoring the musicianship, the crowd was clearly excited to see the two perform, obeying the rappers’ every command. At the end of the performance, the two had women come up and dance on the stage, showing the intensity of their fans.

If someone didn't like Rae Sremmurd before this performance, this certainly didn't come out of it as newly addicted to their music, but dedicated fans got the show they were looking for.

Update (8:50 p.m.): Placement on the smaller yellow stage didn't offend Benjamin Booker — it only seemed to make him more excited.

During their 45 minutes set, Booker and company provided some of the best music Fun Fun had to offer, in an intimate setting.

The set contained both old and new material from the 26 year old, including a new song featuring drummer Max Norton on the mandolin and bassist Alex Spiro playing the violin.

Booker’s face contorted and twisted during his performance, showing that he was exerting everything he had to make sure everyone saw a great performance.

After an 8 minute rendition of “Have You Seen My Son,” the band left the crowd wanting more. Booker’s combination of electric Blues and garage punk has proven it's hypnotic qualities before, and this show was no different.

Daulton Venglar | Daily Texan Staff

Update (6:33 p.m.): There may not have had the crowd to prove it, but Viet Cong’s show at this year’s FFF Fest showed why the band is universally lauded.

American Airlines  lost the band’s equipment, but that didn’t stop the four-piece group from thrashing their borrowed instruments. Viet Cong spent the majority of its set in a major breakdown, lasting more than ten minutes to interlude between songs. Crowd favorites included “Silhouettes,” and “Continental Shelf”.

Ignoring their initially tense stage presence and iffy vocals from leading singer and bassist Matthew Flegel, the band put on a spectacle of a show. Drummer Mike Wallace was easily the most charismatic member of the group, displaying his emotion in his facial expressions and aggressive drumming.

Viet Cong’s sound isn’t exactly welcoming, but fans of the band got what they came for early Friday afternoon — a quality and energy filled performance.

Update (3:35 p.m.): For the next three days, we'll be live-blogging Fun Fun Fun Fest and all it’s underground performances.  Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and videographers as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that Fun Fun Fun Fest has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan.

Good afternoon Fun Fun Fun Fest goers! Today is a dark, cool day with expected rainfall a little later this afternoon around 5 p.m. Make sure to bring rainboots, a jacket and umbrella.

Aside from concert recaps, we’ll be covering comedy shows and festival life. Follow @chr_dunc for more updates. Here is our musical line-up for today:

2:25 p.m. — Michael Chronin at the Orange Stage

• 3:35 p.m. — Viet Cong at the Orange Stage
  • 6:35 p.m. — Benjamin Booker at the Yellow Stage
  • 7:35 p.m. — Rae Sremmurd at the Blue Stage
  • 8:45 p.m. — Chvrches at the Orange Stage