Stellar lineup, event improvements among things to look forward to at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2015

FFFlogo
Virginia Scherer

Fun Fun Fun Fest has grown exponentially since its beginning in Waterloo Park in December 2006. Even when prices increased and venues changed, the three-day event has stayed true to its original goal of providing festivalgoers with underground music and comedy. This year’s festival features a stellar lineup, as well as some key improvements in the event’s structure.

Slow Magic – Nov. 5, 8 p.m., Parish and Nov. 6, 4 p.m., Blue Stage
Labeled as “your imaginary best friend,” masked man Slow Magic focuses on creating calming and serene electronic hits. He might not be the most welcoming or energetic performer, but his slower contemplative songs and remixes should combine to create a low-energy but
fulfilling performance.

Benjamin Booker – Nov. 6, 6:35 p.m., JASH Yellow Stage
As a member of the new crop of bluesmen, Benjamin Booker draws from the electric blues, as well as modern garage rock and punk. With his wide scope of influences, including T-Bone Walker and The White Stripes, the New Orleans-based musician grew to an overnight sensation upon the release of his self-titled debut album. His high-energy performance style will likely translate well at this year’s festival, making him a must-see for any fans of rock music.

Late Night Basement – Nov. 6, 10 p.m., 616 Lavaca St.
Late Night Basement is a Brooklyn-based comedy show out on the road for the first time. Hosted by Chris Rose, the show will feature appearances from The Lucas Brothers and Austin local Terance McDavid. Not only do they have free beer, but Rose’s comments on current events are sure to get almost anyone laughing. Be sure to show up early to this show to make sure you get a seat.

Big Freedia – Nov. 8, 5 p.m., Blue Stage
Known for her energetic beats and house music vocals, Big Freedia has been active in the bounce scene, which includes a call-and-response style and hypersexual themes, since the 1990s. However, she only gained mainstream exposure in 2010 with her album Big Freedia Hitz Vol. 1. Her live performances are notoriously spirited, which means her set could be one of the best of the entire festival. Not only is she a great performer, but she’s also offering twerking lessons.

Rozwell Kid – Nov. 8, 9:30 p.m., 611 E 7th
Drawing comparisons to pre-millennia Weezer, Rozwell Kid captures the original spirit of pop-rock with their fun and animated songs. Their songs aren’t only catchy though — the four-piece band turns to some high-pitched guitar riffs and breakdowns to keep their audience on the edge of their seats. Their music is fun in almost every setting, but their performance during the FFF Nites program will likely be a more intimate experience.

Air Sex World Championships – Nov. 8, 1:35 p.m., JASH Yellow Stage
A show of coordination and showmanship, the Air Sex World Championships are a celebration of sexual freedom. The event is simple — comedians re-enact humorous fake sexual scenarios on stage, but the possibilities are almost endless. If you want a guilt-free laugh, go check out
the event.